Getting separated on a Coz reef dive...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

charlesml3

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Gang,

I'm probably going to take a lambasting for this but I'll bring it up anyway. Perhaps it'll generate some good discussion.

Specs:

-I'm an experienced diver with better than 400 dives.

-I'm very comfortable diving in Cozumel since most of those 400 dives were there.

-I'm a "slow" diver. I tend to move slowly and let the creatures come to me.

-I'm blessed with excellent air consumption. I can routinely get 1:15 at 75' with a 80 foot tank.

Anyway, the situation that comes up fairly often when diving in Cozumel is I get separated from the group. They're darting around all over the place. Or perhaps the current has us strung out over a fairly long area. Towards the end of the dive, I'm always the last to hit 500 PSI. I routinely run the DM out of the water!

I used to be very concerned with getting separated and would end up trying to keep up with the group and always keep the DM in view. Over the last couple of years, I've just quit doing that. If I stay with them, cool. If I'm separated, well that's OK too.

Now before someone jumps all over me and starts screaming DIR or whatever that is, I know it's risky. I know I should be staying within arm's reach of my buddy at all times. Nevertheless, this is a risk that I'm willing to assume. I'm not dragging anyone else along with me. I know my gear, I know my computer, and I've done the training. I always practice a simulated 2nd stage failure on each trip and I use my own signal sausage.

I always make sure that when I hit 1000 PSI, I'm up near the top of the reef. Usually I'm in the current doing "The Superman Thing" over the reef by then in 40 feet of water or so. I shoot the tube at 500 PSI and there's a knot in my tube line marking 15 feet. I just hang on the tube for 3 minutes for the safety stop. That also give the boat time to spot the tube and hang out. I know all of the DMs at my Dive Op and they're cool with this. They just let me do my thing.

Anyone else...?

-Charles

Is this a recommended course of action......no
Does Solo/Semi Solo diving cause discussion........certainly
In Cozumel when diving with a group would I recommend it.......no
Does it happen.......sure but it should not be the norm
Is it Ok to do if the DM/DO does not hassel you.......probably
Is it fare to those you are diving with if an equipment failure should be your fate.....no
When you dive as a "group" everyone has a certain level of responsibility to watch out for others even though we each take ultimate responsibility for our own actions.

Those are nothing but opinions and we all know how that discussion comes out. You mention that you have done the training. Well, if you have done any technical training you know that is not an acceptable dive plan. Not preaching just providing a view point. Have a good time and dive safe.

PS........you might want to read my signature below.......lol. That also comes from experience

Mike,

It's not my dive plan to get separated. It happens and I just don't sweat it like I used to. Sometimes I end up tailing another group.

I was diving with a really competent German guy last week. We were hanging together at Palancar Horseshoe and had similar styles and experience levels. It was cool and very enjoyable. But we weren't swimming around right on top of each other. We kept each other within sight but that's about as far as it went. Had something gone wrong suddenly, I don't think there is any way we'd have been close enough to really do all that much to help. We discussed this both before and after the dive and had no issue with it.

-Charles

Lots of people solo. I'd just say carry some redundant gas with you and be safe.

Who are we to tell you how to dive or what is wrong?

charlesml3:
....I always practice a simulated 2nd stage failure on each trip

I'm not anti solo diving. But I'm thinking about maybe you should do a "simulated FIRST stage failure" or at least think through how to handle a total failure. It don't matter how you handle it. A few divers are certain they could swim up from 80 feet others might need a 13ft pony bottle. If you are diving solo it might be good to have a plan. Details don't matter much as long as you do have a plan that you've tested out.

Hi, with your experience, and so long as your dive op/DM are OK with it, I'd say go for it (at your own risk, of course). That said, I've never outlasted my Cozumel DMs, so I've never been in your shoes (or booties, so to speak).
I'd suggest carrying a pony, like PerroneFord says, since you're alone in the water, or stay above 30ft after everyone has surfaced, and be sure the captain recognizes your SMB so he can look for you after picking everyone up. Also, this is a no-brainer, if you think you're drifting away from the reefs (can't see bottom anymore), or if surface conditions get bad, it might be prudent to call the dive and surface.
Dive safely and long!

You may not need your dive buddy, but what if your dive buddy needs you?

charlesml3:
I can routinely get 1:15 at 75' with a 80 foot tank...I'm always the last to hit 500 PSI. I routinely run the DM out of the water!
So can many people...and I don't know a Cozumel DM that wouldn't be able to do this and still come up with 1000psi or more. In fact, my group a few weeks ago did 85 to 90 minute dives everyday with profiles of 100' max. So this is not all that unusual really.

Anyway, the situation that comes up fairly often when diving in Cozumel is I get separated from the group. They're darting around all over the place. Or perhaps the current has us strung out over a fairly long area.
Along with having many hours of bottom time, good air consumption, buoyancy control, composure underwater, the willingness to always learn more, etc....one of the biggest factors qualifying one as a "good" diver is following the dive plan, whatever it is. If the dive plan is to dive with a group, than that is what you should do. Of course stuff happens on occasion and people get separated from the group...but if this is something that happens routinely, then I would recommend rethinking your plan.

This is only my professional opinion of course :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom