Getting to Tioman

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dave1w

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Moving to Singapore next week (finally). Can anyone tell me what is the best, easiest, cheapish way to get up to Tioman, to get a couple of dives in? Also, any recommendations.

Just wanting a noddy splash from now to get back into regular diving

Not sure yet whether will have a car or not.

Dave

Well, the easier way would be to get a package tour from Singapore. Your dive operator would then organize the Trip to Tioman and the diving.
For a pure diving trip you also could consider Pulau Aur.

You also can go by yourself. If you have a car you drive to Mersing. Without a car you take a bus from Singapore or Johor Bahru to Mersing. In Mersing you take the speed ferry to Tioman.
Once you are in Tioman you look for accommodation and then the nearest dive shop and ask them when their next dive is and there you go...

Get to Mersing and then get the ferry across.

I don't know the logistics of getting a car over the border - I used to live in KL so border crossing wasn't an issue. If you do drive, there's a carpark right next to the jeti. Just be careful with the time. They used to charge in twelve hour blocks so if you were half an hour early, they'd charge you the full twelve hours. Alternatively, you can catch a bus from Lavender Street. I think it's Transnasional.

I would try to get to Mersing on a Friday evening. Stay overnight at East Coast Backpackers - cheap and clean. They're at 43a Jln Abu Bakar and their number is +60 (7) 799 3546. Unfortunately, they were closed last time I was there (Aug 2007) so you'd need to check.

Up at sparrow fart Saturday and down to the jeti to get the 07:00 speed boat over to the island. MYR90 round trip.

Last boat off the island is usually 16:00. My preference was to take Monday off and get the noon boat off the island. But Sing is much closer so...

I used to dive with Tioman Dive Centre. B&J are supposed to be pretty good. Google "dive tioman" and you'll get plenty of hits.

Just some more info. I did the trip last weekend :wink:

There's Transnasional Bus from Lavender and 5 Star runs a bus that leaves at 6:30am. The 5 Star bus is quite expensive, but an option if a night in Mersing is not an option.
A taxi from JB to Mersing is around 150 MYR.

Since we were four we took the taxi option. We met the taxi uncle at 7am in JB, had some breakfast on the way (bah kut teh in kota tinggi and some tosai and banana prata :wink: ) and comfortably were on the 11:30am ferry.
The round trip with the speed ferry is 70 MYR, travel time was roughly 1h 45m. No more speed boats due to an accident last year.
The best ferries are from BlueWater, tickets at Mersing Jetty counter 8.

We arrived in Tioman just in time for two nice afternoon dives.

Last ferry back is at 4:30pm on weekends and 3:00pm on weekdays.

I was diving with Tioman Reef Divers (Tekek, staying at Swiss Cottage or Babura Seaview) and would be happy to dive with them again.

So no more speedboats? I've been on a few and occassionally pondered what would happen if it sank. Used to always hang around the back of the boat so I wouldn't be trapped inside. My plan was to grab my gear bag, jump overboard and then get into my BCD. Would always catch the big boat when I had time to spare.

I go regularly to Tioman. Due to the ferry accident and depending on the date you are going the only ones on duty may be full. It's better you contact in advance with the dive center, they can look for accommodation and also book the ferry ticket for you.
My option is Bali Hai divers, they send you a boat wherever you are staying and you can start diving the moment you arrive to the island.
Bali Hai Divers - Tioman Island, Malaysia - Dive in Paradise

Back
Top Bottom