Ghost fish aka "Spooky"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bearhere

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Just got back from diving Playa Hermosa Costa Rica and I was rather unsuccessfully chasing a rock croaky with my Cannon G-10. To my surprise I see this fish on the photo and have no idea what I am looking at. He/it looks kinda spooky. So I am going to attempt to post the three photo series and see if the SB pros can figure it out. Thanks in advance. By the way, I got the most awesome photos of octopus.... out on the sand ... in the daylight. Made my trip.

Attachments

• IMG_2854.jpg
    IMG_2854.jpg
    330.5 KB · Views: 110
  • IMG_2853.jpg
    IMG_2853.jpg
    425.5 KB · Views: 100
Lets try it for the last time.... I am such a ...:confused::confused::confused:

Attachments

• IMG_2854.jpg
    IMG_2854.jpg
    406.1 KB · Views: 115
I think it might be a juvenile jacknife fish.

You have now experienced the bane of every u/w photographer's existence: the dreaded "fish butt". This occurs when the fish sees the pre-flash on your digital camera, and gets frightened. Only cure: more money for a digital SLR. Oh, and u/w strobes of course. :wink:

The Jackknife Fish which I am familiar (Equetus lanceolatus) is a Caribbean / Atlantic fish. Playa Hermosa is on the Pacific.

I'm not sure the OP is talking about the blurry jacknife fish.... check out the last thumbnail posted on the top right corner... spooky looking fish there....

Yep, that's the one. It has a "face" that looks like a cat or wearing a skull cap. ??? I am flummoxed. The jack knife is the one I was chasing. I can see pectoral fins, round fins on the side and a tail towards the "back". I think it is kinda spooky. I only noticed it after I loaded the shot on the camera and I have not been able to enhance it beyond the first post enlargement.

Back
Top Bottom