Giant Black Sea Bass of Califorina

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scottfiji

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
The Giant Black Sea Bass are making a nice comeback in Califorina.

960966346_vtMs8-L.jpg

F8, 1/200th, ISO 320, Tokina 10-17mm

I've seen many black sea bass recently at Catalina Island and Anacapa island in Southern Califorina.

I took this photo last weekend, we were lucky to find a large group of them that wanted to get cleaned and possibly mate. Still, they keep their distance usually and move quickly, this guy was not sitting still. Some of the younger ones can be approached if they get used to you.

You can see many parasitic copepods on the face.

Nice shot, Scott! Two years ago we had the opportunity to mingle with about a dozen of the big guys. If you approach really quietly and then sit still, they're often curious enough to come to you. I had one that hung out side by side with me for about five minutes while I took face shots. After a while I moved a bit too much and it ambled off.
As I recall, we were at Goat Harbor.
P8150062-01sm.jpg

thnx.

Nice pic! LOVE to hear about 'dem comebacks!!! Thanks for sharing!!!

I still have not seen one underwater this season... my eye is on the viewfinder too much of the time. I have filmed them topside right off our green Pleasure Pier, and (of course) I've filmed hundreds of them over the past 10 years).

As for a comeback, I'd certainly have to agree with you even though the scientists say there is no definitive proof of that. I guess those lab-based folks need to get out and dive more often. Reports here off Catalina have them all up and down the leeward coast (and I'll bet they are on the windward side as well although I've yet to see one there).

However, the official common name for Stereolepis gigas is the giant sea bass, bot the giant black sea bass or black sea bass. That name was officially designated by the American Fisheries Society in 1961... back about the time I started using SCUBA.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom