Giant Sea Bass count for Dr. Milton Love

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

where in PV did you shoot this??

---------- Post added June 18th, 2014 at 11:14 AM ----------

I dove Goat Harbor on Sunday, and spotted one fairly large black sea bass (perhaps in the range of 6+ feet long). Others on our boat encountered a group of four of them.

Saw it at about 35-40' depth just at the edge of the kelp. I was able to get within arms reach. What a treat that was.

were you on the eastern or western side of goat harbor?

where in PV did you shoot this??

---------- Post added June 18th, 2014 at 11:14 AM ----------

were you on the eastern or western side of goat harbor?

Was towards the eastern side. It's not a particularly large area, but I guess with visibility of only 20-25 feet, one must be pretty specific.

I have no idea if there is any relation to the depth where I saw them the other week, but there was a very quick drop in temp of perhaps 5-10 degrees right at 42'. The bass I saw seemed to be cruising just above in the warmer water.

Out on Catalina they tend to ride just above the thermocline when they are hovering.

Hey there guys, this project is turning into a really awesome chance for us all to get involved!!! Here's a link to an article with more info! Spread the word and share the stoke!

Giant Sea Bass Census | The UCSB Current

Also a link to a spearboard.com post that has an electronic version of the official Great GSB Count flier attatched (because I am having an apparently difficult time attaching it to this post)

The Great Giant Sea Bass Count - Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum

Cheers

Two years ago there was a group of about 50 GSBs off our East End. I saw video shot by another diver, but he wouldn't tell me where it was. I can't really blame him. I've seen more than 20 on a single dive out here at some of the courtship sites. It is so good to see them coming back... I never saw a single one back in the 60s or 70s (but then most of my diving back then was during the academic year rather than summer).

Dr Bill! Just saw the Michael Fowlkes episode & your involvement in the series. Those were some BIG BSB's....
Had Michael document / video my 2day offshore fishing charter just last August, great guy...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom