Giant sharks haunt St Lawrence

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DocMartin- The boat is called the Turtle, and you book it through The Hampton Dive Center. Go to www.hamptondive.com . Follow the links for boat dives and then to The Turtle. There are also pics in the photos section. Pick a date on the schedule and give HDC a call.

It's pretty reasonable, $195 pp and you get a rain check to go again if you don't see any sharks. from what I've heard, seeing some Blues is almost guaranteed.

Let me know when you're going. If we have as much fun as I think, we may go a second time!

Sorry about the hijack(but it is shark related)!
Check out this site www.sharkdiver.com
This is a west coast outfit that specializes in G Whites!
Tha Farrallone Islands are actually a marine preserve so no chumming is allowed- they bring the sharks in using neoprene or plywood decoys-like bass fishing for 5000lb bass!They use a surface supplied air and claim about an 85% success rate...but a one day trip is about 700$$..Ouch!
The other location is in Mexico so chumming is ok and appears to be more productive-they are 3-4 day liveaboard I beleive.
I would love to go to the farralones but 700$ is half a week in Cozumel or Roatan so.....some day?:wink:

Awesome page! I've seen a few shows on the Great Whites at the Farralons. It looks like a great day of diving. There was some mention in the dive package section that said single divers get $200 off if they pay in advance, and in full. If I read it correctly, that knocks it down to $500. I hope you can swing the $$$ to try it some day.

ScottyK once bubbled...
Excellent Article!

I'm going on a shark dive one week from today. The boat leaves from eastern L.I. (New York). It's a cage dive and we should see Blues, Makos, huge Tuna and Sunfish and if we get extemely lucky
there is a remote chance of seeing a Great White :) I can hardly wait.

How remote? Just curious but when is the last time a Great White was spotted in NE waters?

Amazing info on the Greenland Shark!

Never heard of it before and I've always wondered about sharks in arctic waters.

diverjed once bubbled...

How remote? Just curious but when is the last time a Great White was spotted in NE waters?

They're out there, and are seen and caught by fishermen out here every summer. There was a juvenile that was spotted inshore just a few weeks ago that made the local news.

The Great White's out here don't prey on seal colonies like they do on the west coast. They eat large pelagic fish like tuna. Because of this, they are not regulary seen near the shore. You have to get on a boat and get out into deep water. By remote, I'm guessing about 50 to 1, so pretty darn remote. There should be plenty of Blue and Mako sharks to see though :)

By the way, to those waiting for a trip report. It got postponed until next Thursday do to 7 to 10' seas forecast for today. I'm typing this while I should be out on the boat :upset:

The good news is I get to take another vacation day!

I'm curious is anyone has some information on organizations that run shark dives. I'd love to book some diving specifically geared toward seeing sharks, and would be interested in hearing people's first-hand experiences. Websites with information on the organization would be helpful, too. So far, the only sharks I've encountered are nurse sharks, still very interesting, but I'm looking for more.

And on a note related to the original article, it mentions a great white caught in PEI, my home province. Check out a photo of the shark itself from the Canadian Shark Research Laboratory website:

http://www.mar.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/science/shark/english/white.htm

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom