Giant sharks haunt St Lawrence

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DivingGal

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
Some interesting information Original story

Canadian researchers unravel the mystery of giant deep-water shark
LES PERREAUX
Canadian Press

Sunday, July 06, 2003
QUEBEC (CP) - The giant shark goes by the name Sleeper but kills large caribou after lying in wait - crocodile-style - at the mouth of Canada's northern rivers.

Canadian researchers are now trying to unravel the mysteries surrounding the great northern Greenland shark after at least four of them were discovered in the St. Lawrence River near Baie-Comeau, Que.

"We've got so many things through these dives and this footage that we didn't have a clue about before," said Jeffrey Gallant, a shark researcher who went diving in June with at least four Greenland sharks.

"We've been working on this shark for years and it's extremely exciting to be learning so much."

While researchers knew the Greenland shark ventured along the St. Lawrence, a diving team led by Gallant and co-researcher Chris Harvey-Clark took what is believed to be the first known video of the fish swimming freely in a natural environment.

The footage and close-up observation are debunking several myths about the shark, starting with the theory that the animal is dopey and docile.

When Gallant and his researchers swam near the sharks, the fish assumed a defensive stance with its pectoral fins pointing downwards, similar to the pose of Caribbean reef sharks when they feel threatened.

On one dive, a shark stalked the divers as they surfaced, likely to check them out as potential prey. While the shark was previously thought to be nearly blind, the behaviour showed it could see the divers.

"That was the only time anyone felt threatened," said Gallant, regional director of Canada's Shark Research Institute. "The shark came up and saw that the divers were not seals and left them alone. The rest of the time, we tried to give it as much leeway as possible."

Along with better-than-expected vision, the animals demonstrated they were curious.

"I jumped off a dock where they said they'd seen one and within two minutes I was diving with a 10-foot (three-metre) shark," Gallant said. "They were coming to us."

Some amateur divers have expressed concern that the Lower St. Lawrence may not be safe with the presence of a shark that can be more than six metres long and weigh up to 1,000 kilograms.

Gallant said sharks, including the Greenland, rarely present a threat to people in Canada. Among other factors, cold water slows the shark and it tries to expend as little energy as possible.

However, Gallant warned that rogue thrill-seeking divers should give the shark a wide berth.

"If you jump in and try to grab it by the tail and go for a ride, you're going to get nipped," Gallant said. "Yes, this is something people actually do."

Sylvain Sirois, a diver from Baie-Comeau, 420 kilometres northeast of Quebec City on the St. Lawrence, stumbled across the shark in May while completing a dive at about 20 metres below the surface. He said he was never worried about the giant shark.

"It was shocking to see it but it really filled me with a feeling of wonder," Sirois said. "It's the first word that came to mind and it's the only word that works. Wonder."

Sirois, 33, believes he saw a Greenland shark on a previous dive a few years ago. "But it was just a shadow," he said.

"We haven't seen them in a while, so we think they were just passing through," said Sirois, an instructor who also runs a diving shop.

"Of course we want people to come here to dive, but we're really not putting the accent on the Greenland shark. People have been diving here for 35 years and this is the first confirmed sighting, so the chances are extremely slim."

The shark was thought to spend most of its time in the deep cold water of the Arctic, but Gallant's team has found evidence that some Greenland sharks may spend more time outside the Arctic Circle.

Nearly 98 per cent of Greenland sharks that spend most of their time in the Arctic carry a visible parasite on their eyes. Gallant's team found no evidence of the parasite on the Quebec sharks.

In the past, other researchers have photographed the shark in the water after it had been left on the ice for several hours by fishermen. On other occasions, researchers have photographed the shark by tying a rope to its tail and trailing it.

"When a shark is tied by the tail, it's not going to do what it normally does," Gallant said. "The pictures and video we have were all natural."

Like many sharks, the Greenland is legendary for its toughness. Beluga whale fishermen in the Saguenay region used to gut the whales on shore, allowing blood and entrails to flow into the water. The Greenlands would be drawn to shore. Caught up in a feeding frenzy, the sharks would ignore receding tides and be beached.

The fishers would cut out the sharks' livers and cook them for valuable oils.

"When the tide would come up again, some sharks weren't dead and would swim out without their livers," Gallant said. "They'd eventually die, of course, but they are tough."

Other regions of Canada have seen the occasional shark. A four-metre white shark was caught near Baie-Comeau in the 1950s. Another white shark was caught on Prince Edward Island in 1982. The shark was five metres long.

Ten-metre basking sharks are also seen in the Gulf of St. Lawrence and the Maritimes.

"There are lots of sharks in Canada," Gallant said. "People just don't know about them."

© Copyright 2003 The Canadian Press

i wonder what it would be like to actually swim with sharks. and i thought that barricudas were scary. !

Excellent Article!

I'm going on a shark dive one week from today. The boat leaves from eastern L.I. (New York). It's a cage dive and we should see Blues, Makos, huge Tuna and Sunfish and if we get extemely lucky
there is a remote chance of seeing a Great White :) I can hardly wait.

Great article! Thanks!
Hey Scotty-Post a trip report on the shark dive when you get back!-that sounds awesome!

I should be able to do a report, and if I can get some help with it, post some pics!

My buddy (Fiance') and I are on vacation next week and will be diving every day. I'll try to do some pics of sharks and some of the other coastal marine life around here.

Needless to say, today and tomorrow at work are going at a snails pace :(

Thanks Bro! Im kind of a shark fanatic and would be very interested to hear about your excursion-Iv done several Shark dives in Tahiti and Roatan but never in a cage! I hope you see a lot and they have not all been wiped out by the longliners and shark finners!
Have a great vacation and be safe!
Sorry Divingal - didnt mean to hikack your thread!:wink:

I love sharks (and all marine life) also. I live about 10 miles from where the movie Jaws was filmed, and the boat I'm on goes out from the same docks that made Capt. Frank Mundus and Great White fishing famous. To this day, shark fishing boats charter out here, but (thankfully) to a lesser extent now.

I was thrilled to hear about the Shark Dive as much for the fact that it was a chance to put my conservation "money where my mouth is", as for the desire to see them. There are a lot of divers here and hopefully it will generate enough $$$ to put some value on "live" sharks!

PS. Divergal, I'm also sorry that Drew hijacked your thread :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom