Giant Squids

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SharkBaite

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Jumbo squid wash up on beaches:

NEWPORT BEACH, CA — Officials in Orange County, California, aren't sure why hundreds of giant squid are washing up on the beaches.

Normally the bug-eyed sea creatures live in deep water and only come to the surface at night. But around 500 of them started washing ashore Tuesday. The largest weighs 17 pounds.

Authorities say it's possible they were after smaller fish and got too close to the shore, or maybe the tides just carried them in.

A lifeguard with the Newport Beach Fire Department says he's heard of this happening before but that "it's not a common occurrence."

Don't get any ideas about a big calamari feast. Officials advise beachgoers not to eat or even touch the squid because they may have bacteria on them.

My vote is that they all ate bad seafood.

Let's see, some fishing groups in Thailand observed deep water species appearing over the shallow reefs shortly before the big earthquake and tsunami. Perhaps this is a warning that California will finally get to experience that "E-ticket ride" we've all been promised for so long. That's why I bought my home high on the backside of a hill out of a tsunami's path (or the recent rains for that matter).

Dr. Bill

Dr. Bill,

You may be looking at some Ocean Front Property sometime in the near future! :eyebrow:

(Lets hope not!) :wink:

Donnie

novafury:
Don't get any ideas about a big calamari feast. Officials advise beachgoers not to eat or even touch the squid because they may have bacteria on them.

Are we talking about Architeuthis or just very big squids? Some large squids have so much ammonia in them that they are basically inedible anyway.

We caught a few last night out of Dana Point. They are really great eating, especially if fried in steak chunks.
We ended up with 90 pounds of squid steaks and tenticles.

Kyle

90 lbs of squid tentacles?! That sounds like the basis for a bad horror film. :11:

Thanks MaxBottomtime for the timely notice - I caught the 1 am showing, and it was a fun show. Although the title ("Killer Squid") seemd sensational it started with the hype and then looked in more detail, doing a good job of diffusing the fear by the end.

Back
Top Bottom