Gilboa May 7th/8th Camp/Dive informal GUE get together. Everyones welcome!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

StreetDoctor

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I know it's very short notice but I'm trying to get the Chicago GUE group together to do a diving/camping road trip on Friday and Saturday May 7th/8th. I'd like to network with other Great Lakes GUE guys and talk about some big lake diving. Or anyone even interested in GUE that wants to talk diving, hangout, eat, etc is more than welcome.

I'm going to shoot for getting there around 1pm on friday. We'll probably get out of the water at 3 on saturday to be out of there by 4. I'd like to get 6 dives in over the two days including a night dive friday night. We'll have a blue pop-up tent setup hopefully with a 2x5 GUE banner, even if you can only make it out for a single day come say what's up.

-Nick :D

PS

If anyone can give me any tips for camping at Gilboa I'd appreciate it. We've only been there once on a weekday afternoon. Especially in regards to camp fires, beer, etc.

Street Doctor...just came across your thread...what is the status of the get-together, does it look like it will happen?

Campfires are done in the rings provided. You cannot bring wood across county lines thanks to the Emerald Ash Borer, I believe the fine for getting caught transporting firewood in your vehicle is $4,000 if the cops catch you. Mike has firewood for sale on site. If you have a large group coming you can call ahead and see about reserving one of the large fire rings (a big tractor rim).

Beer. They don't really want alcohol on the property. Have I seen it consumed on the property? Yes. Festive beverages discreetly consumed around the fire after the final dive by responsible adults who aren't getting rowdy, naked in public or exhibiting other disruptive behaviour does happen.

If it's raining or muddy you want to get a spot closer to the far end of the road. There are a couple nice large gravel spots on the left as you drive to the end by dock 5 with plenty of room for your picnic tables, fire, chairs and a couple of canopies and your tent/camper.
Ber :lilbunny:

Thanks for the advice on camping. It's not going to be a big group so we'll probably just grab whatever is available when we get there. Right now I think there's 3 of us going maybe one or two more. We should be there shortly after 1pm friday the 7th.

We're cancelling due to weather... rain, cold, and more rain. We'll try again soon.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom