Gilboa OW Checkout Dives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SpartanDiver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi all.

Well, my OW cert dives are scheduled for next weekend (June 14th/15th) at Gilboa. I'm pretty excited. Thus far my dive training has gone very smoothly and I feel comfortable in the water. I've read a lot about Gilboa and I'm excited to finally experience such a cool dive site and become a certified diver. My wife and I will be driving down from mid-Michigan, probably on Friday night.

What should I expect? I'd be interested in hearing any and all tips that you veterans have for a newbie at Gilboa for the first time. Where to stay, where to park, what "little" things that people bring that make the experience better, what to wear, what to expect,etc. I have a 7mm FJ, gloves and a hood. I understand that it will initially be cold, but I'm hoping that I'll still be warm enough, especially at the shallower depth we'll be operating at for the weekend.

Any tips and tricks that you can pass along to this rookie will be appreciated!

Last edited:
Hey SpartanDiver,

Congrats on your cert. You're in for a real treat diving Gilboa. If you want to find out all the info you need, just click onto the thread in GLWC site "Dive sites in the GLWC region". There is a full description of all you need to know. Have a great day at Gilboa, and if you can ever get away during the week (less crowds) PM me. I only live an hour from Gilboa.

Hi all.

Well, my OW cert dives are scheduled for next weekend at Gilboa. I'm pretty excited. Thus far my dive training has gone very smoothly and I feel comfortable in the water. I've read a lot about Gilboa and I'm excited to finally experience such a cool dive site and become a certified diver. My wife and I will be driving down from mid-Michigan, probably on Friday night.

What should I expect? I'd be interested in hearing any and all tips that you veterans have for a newbie at Gilboa for the first time. Where to stay, where to park, what "little" things that people bring that make the experience better, what to wear, what to expect,etc. I have a 7mm FJ, gloves and a hood. I understand that it will initially be cold, but I'm hoping that I'll still be warm enough, especially at the shallower depth we'll be operating at for the weekend.

Tips for Gilboa:
Camping--pick a spot that it isn't all dirt, make sure there is some grass and put your tent there. All dirt means all mud if it rains, the dirt sites (one in particular near the steps closest to the back of the quarry) tend to be the low areas.

Your instructor will have their favorite spot to set up gear and conduct the class. Finding out roughly where that is means less hiking for you if you leave something at your campsite.

The speed limit is 5mph not 5.1, not 6mph...5mph. Put your car in low gear if it's an automatic and keep your foot off the gas most of the time. Watch for divers stepping out into the road from behind obstacles. It's hard to look for traffic wearing a mask, your peripheral vision is not very good. Quarry staff will tell you to slow down when they catch you going too fast, don't get a reputation as "the one who drives too fast". They will remember, just ask Diver Paula :rofl3:

Bring along a container to put warm water in and soak your hood and gloves. Something to dunk your suit in warm water is nice as well, maybe just a trash bag you can put warm water in. Wet cold neoprene is ICKY when you put it on for your second dive. You probably won't be able to run to the bath house and fill your container during your class so bring along a couple gallon jugs to put water in. It's supposed to be freaking warm this weekend so just leaving the water in the sun should warm it enough to take the ick out of the wetsuit.

When you hang your wetsuit after you're done for the day hang it inside out. Only one side is going to dry overnight and you want that to be the side against your skin.

There are a bunch of cottonwood trees at Gilboa and I believe it's cottonwood seed season. It will probably look like it snowed up there. The cottonwood seeds get into EVERYTHING so plastic tubs to keep stuff in when you aren't using it (that's anything not just dive stuff) come in handy for "fluff control".

Don't worry about the water temperature. It's going to be so freaking hot this weekend you'll be happy to get out of the steaming air.

How to avoid being considered a jerk by other divers:
DO NOT park in front of or as close as possible to any steps leading into the water. If all the parking appears to be taken except for one open spot that's probably where the steps are, make it a point to check for steps and avoid that spot.

DO NOT leave your gear laying where other people have to step over it or walk around it on the docks. If you're leaving something on the dock (I don't recommend the practice) leave it close to the railing away from the front entry/exit area and make a nice compact pile.

Gotta run for now, if I think of anything else I'll post :D
Ber :lilbunny:

Ber provided a great summary. The only thing that comes to mind for me is to bring a tarp to put down for your gear. Gilboa has alot of dirt and not alot of grass. Put the tarp down and then gear on the tarp. This allows you to keep the gunk off of your gear. It's also where you'll put your suit on and take it off. Doing that on the dirt ... well, gets dirt and mud on everything ... wetsuit, feet, legs, arms that then handle the dirty wetsuit. You get the picture.

Also bring rope to string between trees for hanging your gear to dry. The bed of a truck works if you drive one, otherwise you'll need rope.

Oh, and don't forget a cooler and water. They sell ice to keep it cold. When it gets hot like it will this weekend, you'll need lots of cold water.

Bring along a 4'x6' piece of indoor outdoor carpet and a chair. You can get the carpet cheap at a Dollar General or something. It's nice to step on a carpet to change instead of a plastic tarp which is soaked with all the water that's dripped off your gear :wink:

Bring along a 4'x6' piece of indoor outdoor carpet and a chair. You can get the carpet cheap at a Dollar General or something. It's nice to step on a carpet to change instead of a plastic tarp which is soaked with all the water that's dripped off your gear :wink:

Great idea! I use my DAN gear matt which does the same thing but isn't as inexpensive as your idea. Yea, you do want something that keeps the muck off of you but lets the water soak through. Good one!

Oh and only your body goes on the carpet, the gear still goes on the tarp. Walking on your tarp tracks mud and grit onto it that gets all over your gear.

If you have one of those 10x10 shelters (blue or white canopy) bring it along. It's a great place to hang wetsuits if you bring along some heavy duty hangers. If you don't have hangers that will hold a wetsuit you can use duct tape to turn three of those plastic tubular hangers into a wetsuit hanger :wink: I bring a ratchet strap and strap mine to a picnic table I put in the center of the tent. (see tent stake note below)

Regarding tent stakes: Gilboa is a rock quarry and there isn't a lot of dirt over the rock in many places in the campground. Driving tent stakes into the ground usually rates somewhere between "interesting" and "impossible".

Don't dawdle near the steps when getting in or out. If you've discovered a problem before entering step to the side or back of the platform out of the way of other divers trying to enter/exit. DON'T sit on the steps messing with a fin strap or something while divers are trying to exit.

Show how polite you are and give people walking up the steps to the campsite the right of way especially if they are wearing tanks. Depending on how wide the diver is you CAN pass on the stairs but it's just as easy to wait 30 seconds for them to clear. If you're not wearing tanks give those who are the right of way :wink:

Make sure you have bug spray and a flashlight if you're camping. It gets pretty dark back there at night.

You WILL get hot in your suit on the surface in the temperatures they are forecasting. Your instructor should give you instructions on how to avoid overheating, follow them.

You're going to have a great time!

Where to stay......

I have camped numerous times at Gilboa, but if it's going to be a busy weekend, I prefer NOT to camp. It can get quite congested on a busy weekend in the camping area and not too many of the day visitors are conscientious when parking their cars and trucks ON your campsite. It's expected and I don't like it so I stay in town. Mike & staff will sell as many camping/parking passes as they can with no regard to whether there is room or not. Nuf said.

My buddy and I usually get a room at the Findlay exit on I-75. There are numerous motels and restaurants there to choose from. If your wife is a non-diver, there's a huge newish movie theater amongst the motels.

Holiday Inn Express, Hampton Inn, Quality Inn, and Country Inns & Suites are on the southbound side, on the northbound side I think there's a Cross Country Inn and a Red Roof.....been a while since I looked on that side.

I stayed at the new Country Inns & Suites last week when we were working the DUI tent and found it quite nice with an exceptional breakfast.....excellent and included in the cost of the room.

Gilboa is a great resource for divers.....one of the best in the country. You'll have a great experience!

Thank you to everyone who has replied thus far. My wife and I are both doing our OW dives this weekend. We'll be staying in town at one of the local hotels on Friday and Saturday night. We'll try to bring a tarp, a rope, and some chairs. We drive a car, so good on fuel but not great for hauling a lot of extra stuff.

Any other advice?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom