Gilboa vs. Dutch

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dutch is more crowded and commercialized, more staff & rules, 2 bath houses, concession stand, gift store, aqua park, challenge area (climbing wall and ropes setup) Koi, more attractions and platforms, 2 big setup areas (peninsula to the right and Student to the left) including picnic tables, multiple entrances with setup platforms on each side. Student side has closer parking to setup area. Peninsula is strictly drop off and park up in lot.

Gilboa is smaller and less crowded, more primitive and prettier in a way, they have paddlefish, or so I hear, cheaper entrance fee, did not notice lifeguard lookouts or people on the water, could have been though. I did not do the deep side so unable to comment there. Gilboa's setup area on the water is handy to leave gear, everyone walks gear back to setup area between dives at Dutch. Loved the tubes :D

Both have gas on site and super friendly and helpful staff. I have personally experienced staff at both locations going waaaay out of their way to help with a "special" request. Viz at Gilboa was an average of Dutch on its best and worst days, decent amount of variability at Dutch, depending on location of dive, time of season, etc. Temps about the same.

DNY is almost always there and they post threads each weekend so people can plan to meetup. I heard a rumor that tours to out of towners can sometimes be arranged :wink:

Donna

What she said :D.

I do not have a lot of experience at either (7 dives at Gilboa and 7 dives at Dutch) however I can honestly say I thoroughly enjoyed both places. The price of admission at Dutch really caught me off guard however they offer so much more I can sort of understand it. Plus if you go even just a couple times, the season pass is a great deal. Gilboa is a pretty no frills place but that is not really a bad thing IMO. Both were great and I recommend both to anybody that is near them. Heck I drove 12.5 hours to get to Dutch and 6 hours to get to Gilboa.......part of that was to spend time with and dive with DNY though.

Since you have been to both and one is not your regular hangout, you would be a good person to comment. I might be a little biased :D

Actually I think your comparison was spot on Donna.

Dutch is more crowded and commercialized, more staff & rules, 2 bath houses, concession stand, gift store, aqua park, challenge area (climbing wall and ropes setup) Koi, more attractions and platforms, 2 big setup areas (peninsula to the right and Student to the left) including picnic tables, multiple entrances with setup platforms on each side. Student side has closer parking to setup area. Peninsula is strictly drop off and park up in lot.

Gilboa is smaller and less crowded, more primitive and prettier in a way, they have paddlefish, or so I hear, cheaper entrance fee, did not notice lifeguard lookouts or people on the water, could have been though. I did not do the deep side so unable to comment there. Gilboa's setup area on the water is handy to leave gear, everyone walks gear back to setup area between dives at Dutch. Loved the tubes :D

Both have gas on site and super friendly and helpful staff. I have personally experienced staff at both locations going waaaay out of their way to help with a "special" request. Viz at Gilboa was an average of Dutch on its best and worst days, decent amount of variability at Dutch, depending on location of dive, time of season, etc. Temps about the same.

DNY is almost always there and they post threads each weekend so people can plan to meetup. I heard a rumor that tours to out of towners can sometimes be arranged :wink:

Donna

What she said :D.

I do not have a lot of experience at either (7 dives at Gilboa and 7 dives at Dutch) however I can honestly say I thoroughly enjoyed both places. The price of admission at Dutch really caught me off guard however they offer so much more I can sort of understand it. Plus if you go even just a couple times, the season pass is a great deal. Gilboa is a pretty no frills place but that is not really a bad thing IMO. Both were great and I recommend both to anybody that is near them. Heck I drove 12.5 hours to get to Dutch and 6 hours to get to Gilboa.......part of that was to spend time with and dive with DNY though.

Actually I think your comparison was spot on Donna.

Ditto to what drydiver and ScubaSteve have already posted as I was in Gilboa with them both. The only thing I would add is that the water entry steps to Gilboa was very slippery and our group all gracefully landed on our arses during our first entry into Gilboa. Dutch has a water entry ramp into the water vs the steps in Gilboa.

Met SB's Gilboa regulars Ber Rabbit and Randy. I enjoyed both quarries mainly because of the great buddies I was diving with and hanging with, but my preference is Dutch Springs over Gilboa as it's my hometown quarry. :D

Ditto to what drydiver and ScubaSteve have already posted as I was in Gilboa with them both. The only thing I would add is that the water entry steps to Gilboa was very slippery and our group all gracefully landed on our arses during our first entry into Gilboa. Dutch has a water entry ramp into the water vs the steps in Gilboa.

Met SB's Gilboa regulars Ber Rabbit and Randy. I enjoyed both quarries mainly because of the great buddies I was diving with and hanging with, but my preference is Dutch Springs over Gilboa as it's my hometown quarry. :D

I didn't fall down.....:no:

:rofl3: says you!!!

You're either not as klutzy as Steve, Donna and I or you have better recovery skills. :)

You're either not as klutzy as Steve, Donna and I or you have better recovery skills. :)

You noticed that Kyle was in the water before everyone else for every dive......he fell down. And now for

DEEP THOUGHTS
by Jack Handy

If Kyle falls down at Gilboa and nobody is there to see him, did he actually fall???

:rofl3:

I'd say he fell!!!

You noticed that Kyle was in the water before everyone else for every dive......he fell down. And now for

DEEP THOUGHTS
by Jack Handy

:rofl3::rofl3::idk:

slow and steady doesn't fall down....well that and I was really lucky I think.

Back
Top Bottom