Ginnie Springs, CDA, and Dive Instructor sued over drowning death

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

But then we have a different problem, too many yankees.
It may interest you to know that the Yankee cave divers have a similar problem when they go to cave country.

I know everyone on the internet is an expert... But the Suwannee is not phosphorus limited. Nitrate is the limiting nutrient and responsible for the majority of the water quality problems, in addition to fecal coliforms.

ps, this is from 2008 and very little progress has been made in the 15 years since.

I have spread a lot of tons of fertilizer. I don't know what it smells like
Once it gets wet you can smell it.

We’re not supposed to fertilize our lawns certain times of year, but it’s voluntary. We stopped fertilizing completely a couple years ago. Gave up on the idea of having a manicured lawn. Very few of our neighbors use fertilizer, but most put down something to kill the ticks. Several of our neighbors got that disease (Alpha-gal) from ticks where they can no longer eat red meat. Kinda ironic really… Nature finds a way…

cattle. dairy, chicken farms sure do a lots as well
I did the same, my backyard is now mostly native Florida plants... though I believe most people call them weeds.
did same in GA, kept a mowed buffer of about 15ft around house because snakes and darn pine scorpions but otherwise let it go native, just didn't let big shrubs or trees take hold the house side of treeline (big lot). The amount of wildlife after a couple years of doing that visiting was awesome to observe. Totally worthwhile if for nobody but the bees, but I am sure it benefits more than just them

I did the same, my backyard is now mostly native Florida plants... though I believe most people call them weeds.

did same in GA, kept a mowed buffer of about 15ft around house because snakes and darn pine scorpions but otherwise let it go native, just didn't let big shrubs or trees take hold the house side of treeline (big lot).
Perhaps on the non-diving section, you guys might start a thread and show us some photos. I've read of people going with meadow yards instead of grassy lawns (what I think of as the 'golf green' look), but it'd be interesting to see.

Where I live in KY, and where I lived in Arkansas, if you leave a large area along for long, you'll get tall, dense grass growth, various weeds, young trees will shoot up, and you get dense thicket...which is nigh impenetrable, and will ultimately give way when some trees get large enough to cast shade and kill a lot of the dense undergrowth. In other words, successional development toward eventually forest. And tall grasses/weeds offer more tick habitat.

I'm not all that interesting in routine labor in the summer heat for aesthetics, so if letting the yard alone worked, I'd be for it.

I suspect whatever you guys are doing, and the results you're getting, would be educational to see. Cutting down on water usage and excessive artificial fertilizer (and anti-weed herbicides) sounds good.

Perhaps on the non-diving section, you guys might start a thread and show us some photos. I've read of people going with meadow yards instead of grassy lawns (what I think of as the 'golf green' look), but it'd be interesting to see.

Nothing worth posting about for me I was jokingly make it sound like I am doing something good, I just mow down the weeds. My backyard is fully shaded between a huge mango tree (which I am currently harvesting, already got two five gallon buckets full), and a huge oak tree (which I am allergic to). Between the shade and the huge among of dropped mango leaves nothing else will grow.

I've debated doing pavers outside the root zone for the trees.

Remove the catcher off the mower and let the grass clippings fall back to the ground. Best fertilizer I've ever found for lawns.

Regarding the lawsuit. If the arguments in that document are correct (which I doubt) he was given an open water certification without actually doing any open water dives?
There must be a police report somewhere to shed light on what actually happened?

Back
Top Bottom