Ginnie Springs Early Feb

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

editmojo

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Time for my annual southern migration.

Capt Ty, JohnnyBravo and company took me on a Very nice trip to the Sheridan last Feb. I'm thinking about Ginnie Springs this time. Looks like I can rent everything I need on site unless there are cheaper alternatives. I'll be staying just south of Ocala so if anyone can recommend a shop in that area I'd appreciate it. I'll need everything except mask and fins.

Also could use a buddy. Right now I'm thinking about the weekend of Feb 7-8.

And Capt Ty, I'm not opposed to another trip with you if you'll have me back.

I know how you guys hate to dive down there :wink: but I had so much fun meeting some of you last Feb, I though give some more of you a chance to give a northern diver a hard time.

I'm still greatful JohnnyB didn't have to sacrifice me to the shark gods.

Not sure about shops in the area, but if you are staying South of Ocala you may want to check out Paradise Springs as another potential dive site. It's just South of Ocala. It's a more of a sinkhole/karst window with almost no flow. Depth to ~ 100', crystal clear and usually fairly quite, but it's not real big and can get silty if there's a bunch (more than 4-6) of divers in there w/ bad finning techniques. It costs $30 to get in for a day of diving. It's kind of like Ginnie Springs Ballroom in that it's really a cavern dive, but judged (by the owners) to be safe enough for AOW types.

John

Let me know when you are down and I'll hit a spring with you.

it's really a cavern dive, but judged (by the owners) to be safe enough for AOW types.
John

I'm curious. What makes a cavern safe or unsafe for OW divers? Why is that cavern and/or cave divers are adamant that some caverns should not be dived by OW divers and others are considered to not be a problem?

What makes a cavern safe or unsafe for OW divers? Why is that cavern and/or cave divers are adamant that some caverns should not be dived by OW divers and others are considered to not be a problem?

Lots of different factors.

Because some caverns due to their location and/or depth and/or visibility and/or flow and/or size would not be suitable for someone without overhead training.

Thanks giles45shop and eandiver. Paradise is close to where I'll be but looks a little too "Caveeee" for little ol' OW me. From the pics I've seen Ginnie's Ballroom looks like a hole that's wider at the bottom than the top. So while I might not be able to go straight up I might have to angle up. Correct? It also looks a lot bigger than Paradise.

I did what they called a cave snorkle trip in Mexico but there were always large air pockets above us. Would that be a cavern environment if diving?

ean, I'll pm you when my plans firm up.

If there are better spots to hit please keep the suggestions coming

Thanks guys

Ginnie is nice and open inside with a large guide line. I have floated around at the bottom with my lights off and after letting my eye :D adjust been able to see 80% of the cavern from the outside sunlight. Larger than Paradise with high flow and no silt.

If you don't have direct vertical access to the surface then it is an overhead.

I was going to suggest Blue Grotto but with the cost of admission ($40), the cost of air ($10) and no more BBQ man I would start with Ginnie.

Can anyone make Ginnie springs,say,dec ,18,19 ,20,21,22,23? any 2,3,0r 4 of those days?Single and no buddy to go at that time and dates..I am newly certified,,mostly pool practice,competent....I feel I should say that up front.....But I would like to get out,,it's cold in memphis,and dive some,,,gas is down,and don't mind the drive...Anywhere from Destin on down the coast or Ginnie springs will work for me,,,and seems to maybe be a good way to meet some from SB//Thanks in advance

Hello all. Scubaboard is the best way find and meet divers anywhere. I'm still figuring out a few things schedule wise but right now it looks like I'll be hitting Gennie the weekend of Feb 7-8. Eandiver has graciosly offered to be my buddy and tour guide. Looking forward to that.

I'm also trying to get something going in St Pete the next week. Probably juat a couple tanks one moring. Capt Ty, out of St Pete, has a sweet boat and very reasonable rates. I'm also checking out Narcosis Diving. They advertise a daily 2 tank Gulf dive.

I've only got a week so I'm trying to kram in my mid winter scuba fix and keep the non submersible spouse happy.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom