Ginnie Springs Solo Dive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thank you all for your replies. Staying with in my limits and knowing myself is going to keep me around lol So I will not dive solo. I like the ideas of hiring a DM although was looking forward to planning the dive and being the leader. Also taking another class down there seems like a blast also, learning something new under supervision and plus it's my first time here, I need experience in a dive spot if it's new even if I'm an experienced diver correct. Last thing I would want is injury or discouragement so I will surely play it safe. As for being top of my class oh I absolutely agree, I put that as basis that the divers I'm going with saw me in that light so It may have made me seem more prepared in context, does that make sense? I personally am comfortable with the equipment I am trained in but yes I never used a pony bottle, nor have I experienced one real life problem. Sure we take masks off and retrieve regulators but thats planned and in a circle thats not a stranger running out of air and taking my reglulator or beng kicked in face loosing a mask etc... I am really happy that this community is so aware and safety for everyone is a top priority.

......although was looking forward to planning the dive and being the leader......

Why not talk to the DM that you hire and tell them just this. They can let you plan the dive, let you know if there are any issues with the plan and walk you through the area so you can lead the dive. They will be there if you start going astray......I think that would be a good plan IMO. Gets you the experience but lets you plan and execute the dive which gives you the confidence you need.

I find that everyone who recommends solo diving only recommends it if you have as much experience as they do. Funny how everyone thinks it's a bad idea until then, right?

Same as recommending cavern only after a certain amount of experience, then cave after a certain amount, and then DPV or stage or trimix. Solo is an advanced form of diving, and while it is your opinion is it a bad idea, it does not make it a so at all times.

Why not talk to the DM that you hire and tell them just this. They can let you plan the dive, let you know if there are any issues with the plan and walk you through the area so you can lead the dive. They will be there if you start going astray......I think that would be a good plan IMO. Gets you the experience but lets you plan and execute the dive which gives you the confidence you need.

This exactly. Any DM or guide would be thrilled if you wanted to plan and lead the dives and assist you in it.

I find that everyone who recommends solo diving only recommends it if you have as much experience as they do. Funny how everyone thinks it's a bad idea until then, right?

Solo diving isn't smart, period. Looking both ways before running a red light and having years of driving experience makes it less dangerous, but it doesn't make it a smart decision.

I think that's an overly broad statement and a fairly irrelevent analogy.

Solo diving ... like all diving ... is a matter of risk analysis and mitigation. But in order to mitigate the risks, you have to understand what they are, and have the skills and equipment to deal with them. This is no different than any other approach to diving. The most significant difference is that you will not be relying on someone else to help you. As with many recreational activities, the level at which you can be properly prepared to do that far exceeds the basic training you received when first entering that activity.

There are many ways to dive. Whether they're smart or not will depend not just on your skill and experience level, but your comfort zone and the circumstances of the dive. Not every dive should be approached as a solo dive, even by the very experienced solo diver. And some dives will actually be less risky to do solo by the properly prepared solo diver.

There are no straight-forward solutions that apply equally to all divers under all circumstances ... however much people of a certain idealogical persuasion would have us believe that there are. Diving with a buddy also has inherent risks and drawbacks which must be mitigated. Unfortunately, what we see in the typical recreational setting is a bunch of people who have been told they should always dive with a buddy with little or no effort put into training them how to actually do that ... and that leads to problems and complications that will often put a diver at risks that they neither anticipated nor prepared for. We read about those people in the Accidents and Incidents forum almost every day.

Solo diving isn't the preferred solution to that problem ... developing good buddy skills and being choosy about who you dive with are. On the other hand, solo diving can be a valid choice for quite a lot of recreational settings, if the diver puts appropriate levels of experience, training, planning and preparation into the dive.

OW training does not even begin to prepare you for that process. OW training ... even at the best levels ... introduces you to the basics of safe diving practices. It prepares you for diving in relatively benign conditions and introduces you to mitigation practices for the most common problems you might encounter as a new diver ... and it does that with the assumption that you will be diving with a similarly-trained buddy. It does not cover many of the essential skills that a diver must have before they consider diving on their own.

And that is why most solo divers believe that it takes more experience to dive solo. There's nothing funny about it ... it's basic risk mitigation.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Two of my past experiences come to mind:

1) I once had to share my air with a brand new diver while at only 30'. Kid just flat ran out of air. (I guess he felt... "pressured" to not be the weak link or something.) That story ended well. We were able to surface with him sucking on my octo. (Maybe he won't lie about his tank pressure next time, or better yet, maybe the rest of us will have the newer guys actually SHOW us their gauge.)

2) Just yesterday I went to a local quarry in my hometown when some men at the gate turned me away. Seems there was a diving accident just a hour earlier. Newspaper said that an Advanced Open Water diver with 25 years diving experience was diving alone. This one didn't end so well. Apparently the quarry's owner had to go looking for the man when he didn't surface. I passed the Coroner as I was leaving.

Again, that last diver died. That was yesterday; 4 miles from my house.

So I say 'no' to being drug into a cave behind these other guys. They obviously either A) don't care about taking care of fellow divers, or B) are reckless and lacking in safety. Either way I wouldn't put my life in their nonchalant attitude.

Last edited:
Staying with in my limits and knowing myself is going to keep me around lol So I will not dive solo..... Also taking another class down there seems like a blast also, learning something new under supervision..... I will surely play it safe..... I am really happy that this community is so aware and safety for everyone is a top priority.

^^^ This, this, this, and this. ^^^ Sounds like a good judgement call.

Last edited:
I know the answer to this question, it's one I beat into my own head upon completion of the text book. However a situation has occurred and wanted some 3rd party input from experienced divers personally. I was planning a trip to ginnie springs and everyone hopped on board. My dive buddy than canceled, and pretty much everyone I am going with is a cave diver with years upon years experience. I just got certified last month (open water ) and these are my first dives since certification, and it was suggested I bring a pony and just go solo being it's 30 feet of water. If my peers think I can do it, I have the confidence to do it, but my intellectual side is signaling this proves I'm a newbie. I was probably top of class and took to it all pretty fast and accurately but training isn't real world experience either. So my question is A) Do you think solo diving with someone at my level very stupid? B) Is there great risk if you adhere to your training and don't be bold? C) I'm showing immaturity and not ready to even dive yet? D) Is it easy to hook up with a stranger when diving as your partner? E) Is diving with an unknown person more dangerous than solo?

Thanks in advance for reading this being polite and hopefully granting me their two cents.

I live in Gainesville and might be able to dive with you depending on when it is in exchange for you paying my 30 dollar entrance fee to ginnie :) . I'm fairly new too and have no interest in going into the caves. you can mail me at scubadoobadoo at envenomated.com

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom