Giving a talk, and I need some help

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lynne,

I'd start by reviewing the opening chapters of some of the cave diving texts. Don't they have introductory sections that discuss what underwater caves are and why we cave dive?

I'd barrow the basic ground work rather than re-inventing the wheel and then go on to talk about my own experiences or whatever my audience seemed interested in.

Good luck. It sounds like fun.

Already some really great ideas . . . Keep them coming!

I can spin a pretty good tale . . . that might be the way to start.

If you are passionate about your subject your audience will want to hear what you have to say. You are not teaching a class with a format you have to follow. What is it about caves that attracts you? Videos, pics. What does it take for YOU to dive in caves? Your gear and why. What are the risks as you see them and how are they different now than when you started? Why? How did you or how are you dealing with them now. My wife was not a diver. But when I talked about wrecks and why I like them and how I want to dive them she said the light in my eyes got brighter and drew her in as well. Peter is an instructor and ISee where he is coming from but in this case I think you need to tell him you are giving the talk, your way, and from your point of view. As I stated at the beginning if the passion is there what you say is what the audience would want to hear.

Cave diving scares me like nothing else. I've done some very entry level caving on foot and that scared me enough. However, I saw a picture posted on a thread earlier where the cave looked peaceful, untouched and just beautiful. Before that I'd figured it was just dark and dirty. Basically my perceptions are that the risk is huge and the reward is minimal, but I'd love to be convinced otherwise.

You might need to convince my family of that as well.

Already some really great ideas . . . Keep them coming!

There ya go, start off with a dive story.

It was a dark and scary cave...

Sounds great Lynne, a story is always engaging!

Perhaps a live demo of some of the unique equipment/knots would add dimension?

I'd bring in examples of the redundancy - Primary light, backup light, backup light #2, Primary reel, secondary reel, finger spool.

It also might help to bring your double tank first stages with all the hoses attached and show that redundancy.

Also backup for flotation. Dry suit and wing.

And I'm just through Intro. I'll learn more of the redundancies with practice.

Did I mention video is a plus?

Best of luck Lynne.

Tim

I would suggest the video Crystal Caves of Abaco. If that doesn't show them why you do it, then nothing will.

Explain that it's peaceful, serene and most times untouched. You can't be worried about what's for dinner, what bill were you late on or forgot, or what's happening at work next week. You are completely surrounded by your environment and the stresses of the world are, for those few moments non-existent.

There is a misperception that you must squeeze through on your belly in tight restrictions to cave dive. The fear is of getting "stuck" not so much as getting lost. I would present the idea that alot of caves are big enough to drive a car through from start to finish.

At some point I would lay out that the risks of diving a cave are extremely minimal. If all 5 rules of cave diving are followed, your risk of fatality is very minor. I'd emphasize what those rules are.

Hope this helps. Good luck, let us know how it turns out.

Here's a link to that video.... http://vimeo.com/10402471

Back
Top Bottom