gloucester times article and public hearing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mello-yellow:
I know Rockport population had been very unpleasant toward divers at various times, but it is news to me that "it caused a negative impact to the towns economy". How exactly did that happen?

I actually had a great experience with the Rockport Harbor Master this past summer. He was very knowledgeable and and even gave us his card in the event that we ever arrived at a site and found ourselves short of a flag, mask, fin or any of the other random stuff that they come across in their travels. If he's not an ambassador to diver's, I'm not sure what is.

We also discussed the flag law and he was clear that it had nothing to do with Rockport and he had no interest in enforcing it.

It usually the homeowners on the shore that have bought a beautiful home and dont like a lot of strangers parking nearby (in site) or in front of their home and gearing up.
Not to mention pissing behinde the rocks if available after a 2 hr car ride.

In RI there is a cove and homeowners dont even like you anchoring in front of their mansion.

So we have the posh homeowners and lobsterman against us.

crlavoie:
I actually had a great experience with the Rockport Harbor Master this past summer. He was very knowledgeable and and even gave us his card in the event that we ever arrived at a site and found ourselves short of a flag, mask, fin or any of the other random stuff that they come across in their travels. If he's not an ambassador to diver's, I'm not sure what is.

I will second Rockport Harbor Master. While he was talking with me this summer (back beach) he noticed and told me I left my flashlight on. He then told me they have a camera on the beaches and could use it to check the conditions. (never could find it on the web site on his card) Plus with metered spaces no worries with parking.

anyone want to volunteer to put a cam in an encloser so we have a wireless vis cam somplace.

Would be nice

mello-yellow:
I know Rockport population had been very unpleasant toward divers at various times, but it is news to me that "it caused a negative impact to the towns economy". How exactly did that happen?

I think recently the locals have mellowed out with divers. I think this is a direct result of Rockport no longer being a dry town. Now the locals get home and blow off steam with a few brews flip on CSI reruns and have no motivation to hassle divers. I think there had been resentment of the PDB's being tossed back. I will say be very respectful of the Rockport Police some of them are not afraid to unload a weapon while "self medicating".

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom