Gloves on reefs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Brian,

In case you have not noticed, WW stays in the backround until things heat up. His first post in the discussion will often be a personal attack on someone who who has directed nothing to him. I got into this being critical of his attacks on 446. While he is no angel, 446 did not deserve the treatment he was receiving. That caused WW to fire off at me, and he has said so.

It is a better policy not to dignify such attacks, and I intend to exercise more restraint in the future. However, I reserve the right to defend myself and others as do all other sane persons.

As far as climbing the other hill, that is simply descriptive of what was going on and hardly a personal attack. Everyone around here does it from time to time.

By the way, I don't whine about how people treat me. I do complain about people treat other people. There is a difference. I can take all the crap that the bully crowd hands out around here. You try fighting that entire group off at once yourself.

At any rate you seem to believe that being mean some of the time is worse than being mean all the time and that it constitutes hypocracy. I think you are going a bit too far and holding me to a standard which does not exist, especially around here. You should be taking up these issues with some of the other parties to this bar fight. By the way, the comment you refer to was mild in comparison to the personal attack that WW made and was later removed by the moderators.

Your comments on gloves and dive training are well taken. I have actually seen a trio of divers tearing a path through a reef in the Bahamas with their fins. Whe I complained to the captain of the liveaboard, he warned them, but took no other action as the damage continued. While many divers are overweighted and have atrocious skills, fortunately very few of them behave anywhere near this badly. They seem to manage to stay off the bottom somehow. The main result of their poor skills is a short dive due to excessive air consumption. Poor bouyancy control may also present a safety risk, but low accident rates for recreational divers would indicate otherwise.

With all said, I continue to believe that requiring gloves helps and I agree more should be done in other areas. You probably know that the damage done by touching coral is not immediately visible so it is not as dramatic as some fin strikes. A photographer wearing gloves can touch a lot of coral in a one hour dive.

Do you find it offensive that I refer to people who sneak around the rules as creeps?

Finally, when I read the nonsense that some people around here try to pass off as debate, along with the frequent slurs, it really makes me wonder if wordsmithing is worth the effort, or if anyone around here is entitled to hear any interesting ideas that I may come up with.

Spectre once bubbled...
<beep beep beep beep beep>

Ok. Leadweight. Question for you. Please think about it and answer legitimately.

If someone with bad bouyancy gets into trouble near a reef, and is nervous because they don't have gloves. How do they get themselves out of the situation?

What do you think they should do? I have yet to see someone holding onto a coral head to keep from floating to the surface. By the time an unskilled diver realizes what is happening he is too far from the bottom to do that. At that point a divemaster (or his buddy if it is me) swims over and starts to dump the excess air out of their BC.

leadweight once bubbled...
... it really makes me wonder if wordsmithing is worth the effort, or if anyone around here is entitled to hear any interesting ideas that I may come up with. [/B]

Entitled? Well, excuse us...How did you ever find a beanie big enough for that swelled head of yours?

As far as you having anything interesting to contribute, the rest of the board will be the judge of that...and by most indications, your fan club membership seems rather limited.

Did you wordsmith your tag line 'dive like a fish'.... Last time I checked, fish locomote by swimming.

I will be happy to doff the gloves.

I see no reason to get a handful of jellyfish as a consequence of some idiot DM's idea that gloves are somehow going to make me reach out and damage coral.

"Idiot" being the operative word here.

At the end of the day, the policy is simply one of those things so the local dive industry can say "well, we have made every effort to protect the coral, so it's not OUR problem..."

To most everyone in this thread its been painfully obvious that gloves are not the issue...a lack of buoyancy and the diver's ability to control that buouyancy is really the issue and with or without the gloves, a diver who cannot control his or her buoyancy poses a threat to the reef system.

The detractors in this argument would have you believe that we simply do not respect the oceans or the local dive industry or some other claptrap reasoning that is essentially a stab in the dark.

The fact of the matter, though, is that most of these once-a-year, warm water divers are themselves trained by these same diveops that are now complaining...

Get 'em in a weekend, get their 4 open water dives, make it go as easily as possible, get 'em their cards, sell 'em a t-shirt, tell 'em they're divers, and get 'em to come back next year...

It is completely bogus that the diveops are not made to feel complicit in all this. They had no problem turning out in the course of one weekend the prototypical Cozumel commando that dives once a year in warm water. Now when they actually have to take that person out diving, they're upset because the diver and his one weekend of training a year poses a threat to their reefs...

WE TOTALLY AGREE...

But the best answer to this problem you could come up with is to make that person wear gloves?

If these people ran a flight school, you might see them duct-taping a pillow or two to the nose of the plane after giving their new students the "weekend special"...which makes about the same amount of friggin' sense.

Finally, when I read the nonsense that some people around here try to pass off as debate, along with the frequent slurs, it really makes me wonder if wordsmithing is worth the effort, or if anyone around here is entitled to hear any interesting ideas that I may come up with.

You have got to be kidding, right? Wordsmithing?? You? Heh! That's great!

You seem to think you're an expert on pretty everything, I think you're just a once-in-a-while vacation diver who really doesn't have a clue. You're diving education seems to amount to a read of the PADI Divemaster manual. Tell us, did you make divemaster or just read the book and dream about it?

Its pretty cool being a divemaster. All the vacationers worship you and their wives come looking for you late at night. Didn't know that, did ya? You might want to watch yours more closely next time in Cozumel :)

Of course if you were wearing a beanie all of that would be negated.

Don't talk about me like you know anything about me pud. You don't know squat and you aren't ready to be in the same ocean with me.

WW

I am not going to dignify your remarks by responding to them.

Leslie Jacques?

VTY

-Ron

I am not going to dignify your remarks by responding to them.

Leslie Jacques?

VTY

-Ron

And why might you mention that name? And what is "VTY"?

What did you think it meant? You are invited to come up with something better.

Back
Top Bottom