Gloves that can stand up to bolt snaps?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I use a combo of brass/SS clips with wet neo 5 finger gloves and over an extended period of time will get some wear on the finger tips....I have only had one wet neo glove break down at the finger tip and it was a Neo Sport 5mil glove.

I use a combo of brass/SS clips with wet neo 5 finger gloves and over an extended period of time will get some wear on the finger tips....I have only had one wet neo glove break down at the finger tip and it was a Neo Sport 5mil glove.

Brass bolt snaps tend to sharpen after a while. I would get fine little cuts in my thumbs, so after a while I got rid of my brass bolt snaps. (They found a home in my save a dive kit.)

One of the more annoying things about tech equipment is the rate at which all the bolt-snaps destroy gloves. I seem to have endless pairs of perfectly good gloves except for the holes in the thumb.

Does anyone know of any good makes/brands of 5mm gloves with some sort of reinforced thumb to extend their life a bit?

SeaSoft make 5 mm glove with the Kevlar on the palm and fingers. New England divers use them for lobstering etc.

Have you tried these?

SeaSoft Scuba Products

SeaSoft Scuba Products

or you could also just cut the fingers off...unless you're in REALLY cold water it doesn't make MUCH difference...i find the benefit of having fingers exposed outweighs having them covered, if it's that cold I'd go with some drygloves..

Brass bolt snaps tend to sharpen after a while. I would get fine little cuts in my thumbs, so after a while I got rid of my brass bolt snaps. (They found a home in my save a dive kit.)

Agreed...they do tend to wear as you mention....I bought some so called high quality marine grade brass ones one time for use---they were a bit more forgiving than the lesser cost hardware store brass clips....SS is best overall.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom