Gluing pockets onto wetsuit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Chip Elliott

Connecticut Yankee
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi all. I've read a lot of stuff on the board about gluing pockets on the wetsuit. Especially helpful was this thread Adding Pockets to Wetsuit I have just purchased a Henderson Aqualock wetsuit and want to add two pockets to either thigh.

I do have a question though: if you glue on a pocket with Aquaseal or some other adhesive, does that prevent the suit from stretching as it normally would? I have read the instructions on the DGX website Light Monkey Glue-On Thigh Pocket | Dive Gear Express® (bottom of page) and just wonder about the 'stretchability' of the pocket and the glue.

Thanks all!

That seems like an option, but is it awkward to put on over a wetsuit?

I've never tried the shorts, but others have complained that they can slip, are one more piece of gear to put on, and also add unwanted buoyancy.

So screw shorts, glue on some pockets. I did, and I am happy with them.

Your question is a valid one. Following the advices of the sages here, I used an ironing board to stretch the wetsuit out. It is not difficult. Hardest thing about this job is keeping your tube of Aquaseal from hardening after opening.

I have pockets on a 1mm and 3mm and lack of stretch in that area has never been an issue. That said, I now have the shorts referenced above, and doubt I will glue pockets on again, instead using the shorts.

I can vouch for the DGX shorts. I got a pair about 3 months ago and they are great fit. Nice big pockets too. Hope this helps

What do I have to lose then? If they don't work, sell them and then glue on some pockets. :)

Then another question: Should you get a size larger than your wear in a wetsuit? My wetsuit is a Henderson Large Aqualock, should I get XL shorts?

Tobin, GREAT idea!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom