Go Pro Black +3 Waterproof Case vs failing Intova Sports

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Peter69_56

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Having managed to successfully kill 2 Intova Sport cameras (first when it failed electrically and second when it drowned after one use. I was meticulous in ensuring that the sealing O ring was clean prior to use however Intova refused to replace it. Given it was its second use only). I find that very disappointing given it was sold to me on the basis that Intova "will look after you" and also in my opinion, the Intova doesn't even get close to the same camera performance as the Go Pro 3. Thus I have now changed over to a GoPro 3+, although I have one Intova Sports left and will see how long it lasts before failing in some way as well. I also have a Sealife which has never failed me and always reliable, however the light catching ability of the sealife camera is somewhat poor (early model) so I only use it as a backup.

Given the default GoPro waterproof case is only rated to 40m, what are others here using to go to a depth of 100m. I have seen one which was of solid aluminium, but it had bad reports of the lens failing. Saw another from the UK but it was about $1000 AUD.

Is there anything else on the market that is reliable and still reasonably priced and rated to at least 100m?

The Patima does that. Patima GOPRO-3/3+ Octopus Housing for GoPro HERO3 / HERO3+ - although that ad says 150M, I've seen it rated to 80M working pressure but good to 200M. Not sure what that means.

Golem Gear's does 1000' Golem Deep Housing for GoPro3 Camera - rated to 1000ft They make good stuff.

The Sartek does 750' - not sure if you can manually access the controls though. Sartek Industries Product Details I'd guess the wi-fi still works.

There's at least one more good to 100M. I think it's from a spearfishing company but I'm not positive.

Moved this over to the GoPro forum for better suggestions.

IIRC the default gopro casing can go way deeper than 40m. The only problem it has is that eventually the pressure keeps the buttons pushed, which makes it stay in the state it was. This isn't a problem if you record the entire dive, only if you want to start and stop recording. However, at 100m both battery and microSD will often outlast your dive or at least die during the hours of deco.

Don't take my word for it, it's been a long time since I researched the subject, but I'd suggest you search for real life testimonies of deep dive gopro use before spending hundreds of dollars.

[Edit: some quick references:
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/gopro-video/424672-how-deep-have-you-had-your-gopro-housing.html
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/gopro-video/467818-how-accurate-gopros-depth-rating.html
]

Found this housing as well. Recsea GoPro Underwater Housing WHG-Hero3 at $499 USD rated to 200 m, tested to 300 m

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom