GO PRO internship Moalboal vs Malapascua vs ???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dna77054

Registered
Reaction score
I am SERIOUSLY considering a 6 month Go Pro internship in the Philippines. I may even retire there within a year or two. I will be visiting both Moalboal (Kasai Village) and Malapascua (Thresher Shark Divers) in May. At such time I will get many questions answered. Assuming an equal quality of instruction, which location would you recommend?

What type of prices I am looking at for long term budget/moderate(6 month) accommodations in each place? Which place costs more in general?

Are long term accommodations in Moalboal close (walking distance) to the dive shops, specifically Kasai Village?

How important is it to be closer to "civilization" eg, more shops/top side activities that Moalboal would supposedly offer? Is crime an issue in Moalboal?

Is it difficult for a foreigner to get a work permit for the dive industry? I can put 10K US in Phillipino bank if that helps. Long term I would like to work part time in diving and be semi-retired, possibly buying into a dive shop/resort if the finances look right (only after at least of few years of experience there)

Do any places in Bohol offer such Go-Pro internships? How does Bohol compare to Moalboal/Malapascua in term of my concerns?

Thanks
mike

Hi Mike,
I will answer your questions concerning Moalboal. Concerning Longterm rentals, you can get something relatively nice for between 15 to 20K PHP a month here in Moalboal. If you are considering Kasai I would definitly consider purchasing a Bicycle or Motorbike, as Kasai sits off by itself and will take at least 20+ minutes on foot.

Getting a work permit in the Philippines is a bit difficult but can be done if you have unique skills. Just beware that there are many many good "local" DM's in both places so it may be a little difficult to get a "real job"..

Kasai is nice. Crime is not a major concern here in Moalboal, you sometimes hear of Tourists having items disapear from there accomodations, but usually it is a case of inviting the wrong person into the room....

Being closer to civilization is important for some people because they get "Island Fever" so if your prone to that, doing a "internship" in a more developed area might be the way to go.

Bohol is very nice. Relatively Cheap, clean and friendly just like the other places....

Cheers,
Roger

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom