Go pro mount for black tip

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP
Boarderguy

Boarderguy

Chief Narctopus Wrangler
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Does anyone have an STL that they would share for go pro mount on a black tip? I bought one but now have access to a 3D printer at work and don't want to pay $30 for more of them. Something similar to this pic. I'm also looking for the male side that I can attach a light to quick disconnect for changing the battery. I'm new to 3D CAD but am a quick learner so I may be able to modify if it isn't exactly what I'm looking for. Really just hoping to get something to work with that's close.

20240214_160617.jpg
20240214_160610.jpg

$30 doesn’t seem outrageous for that especially when you consider someone had to do the CAD work.

That looks a lot like the explorer technology mount; I think it would be a bit unethical to rip off the design and then just give the CAD away.

Keep practicing your cad skills and draw it yourself; you’ll get it.

$30 doesn’t seem outrageous for that especially when you consider someone had to do the CAD work.

That looks a lot like the explorer technology mount; I think it would be a bit unethical to rip off the design and then just give the CAD away.

Keep practicing your cad skills and draw it yourself; you’ll get it.
That is their design and $30 (maybe $35, IDR) is steep especially when they charge shipping as well. And asking for other designs that are similar isn't outrageous. I'm not asking for someone to reverse engineer this, just using it as an example. I could have my engineers at work knock this out with an exact copy, but that is far less ethical than what I've asked here. An open source STL go pro style female mount is somewhere out there I'm sure.

I'll be playing with CAD fur the rest of today so maybe I'll get something close? Sharing is caring.

Thingyverse has a couple light mounts that give me the base to blend the go pro female onto...

As someone who only does job shop stuff, I don't think $30 is outrageous at all. There not being injection molded and sold by the thousands. I'd be somewhat surprised if they were even making minimum wage after considering design time, setup, run, material, handling, etc.

Sharing is caring until you have to pay thousands of dollars for your CAD software :wink:

As someone who only does job shop stuff, I don't think $30 is outrageous at all. There not being injection molded and sold by the thousands. I'd be somewhat surprised if they were even making minimum wage after considering design time, setup, run, material, handling, etc.

Sharing is caring until you have to pay thousands of dollars for your CAD software :wink:
I agree with you. At that price I'm paying for someone's time and expertise, not the materials. They're not likely running a print farm to make it worthwhile. But asking if anyone else, not explorer tech, has a file they'd share is what I was after. Thingiverse is packed full of stuff and 3D manipulation isn't my forte. I'm playing with a few right now at home since I left work due to a very unhappy lower intestine. Maybe someone here has one, maybe they don't. If they do great, if not then I'll post what I come up with.

Just something to consider...a friend of mine prints some base mounts for GoPros. I asked him why he didn't also 3D print the GoPro mount that you post in pic 2. He said that in his experience he didn't trust the structural integrity of the "ledges" and worried that they would break.

Just something to consider...a friend of mine prints some base mounts for GoPros. I asked him why he didn't also 3D print the GoPro mount that you post in pic 2. He said that in his experience he didn't trust the structural integrity of the "ledges" and worried that they would break.
Interesting, thank you. I have 2 channels for zip ties to hold it on place in that design. I also have a 1" D-ring on the main tube strap that it currently clips to. I plan to position this so that it allows me to clip it on still. If it works then I'll add a 2nd to the other side.

Which ledges? The lower mount female side, the upper mount male side, or the light clips? My lower one I currently have attached holds a camera rig while scooting with no signs yet of failure.

I suppose that would be the female side. It's those ledges that receive the base mount attached to the camera. He said that when he test printed it, the ledges that extend out seemed a bit brittle. I don't know much about 3D printing, so maybe the material could make a difference?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom