Go pro mount for black tip

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP
Boarderguy

Boarderguy

Chief Narctopus Wrangler
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Does anyone have an STL that they would share for go pro mount on a black tip? I bought one but now have access to a 3D printer at work and don't want to pay $30 for more of them. Something similar to this pic. I'm also looking for the male side that I can attach a light to quick disconnect for changing the battery. I'm new to 3D CAD but am a quick learner so I may be able to modify if it isn't exactly what I'm looking for. Really just hoping to get something to work with that's close.

20240214_160617.jpg
20240214_160610.jpg

I suppose that would be the female side. It's those ledges that receive the base mount attached to the camera. He said that when he test printed it, the ledges that extend out seemed a bit brittle. I don't know much about 3D printing, so maybe the material could make a difference?
That may be. I'll be printing it in abs and will see how it does. If that doesn't work I'll try it out with nylon. My constraint is having the engineers print for me since I'm too cheap to buy my own printer. This is a low stress application since it's only holding a light. Another option may be to thicken up the area right there.

That may be. I'll be printing it in abs and will see how it does. If that doesn't work I'll try it out with nylon. My constraint is having the engineers print for me since I'm too cheap to buy my own printer. This is a low stress application since it's only holding a light. Another option may be to thicken up the area right there.

It is indeed low stress application until you hit it.
Generally I don’t trust enough anything that comes out the FDM printer (I have 2 3d printers) with the things I don’t want to lose or damage.
I’ve seen quite few PLA and PETG objects disintegrate, though I have no experience with ABS.
Is there no injection molded part available on the market?

It is indeed low stress application until you hit it.
Generally I don’t trust enough anything that comes out the FDM printer (I have 2 3d printers) with the things I don’t want to lose or damage.
I’ve seen quite few PLA and PETG objects disintegrate, though I have no experience with ABS.
Is there no injection molded part available on the market?
Not with the 6.5" diameter curve for the black tip. There are additional mounts I could add that would then act as a base, but they add weight, are bulky, and $$.

Fail...

Any ideas? Full infill? Ugh. I plan to change the cutout for the zip ties to be a radius vs straight through. That should remove some of the single layer stress and give more meat to hold it together. First design and still a nearly full spool to play with. Damn engineer keeps using my spool for company projects...

20240321_064934.jpg
20240321_064927.jpg

Print #2 of the light holder. The engineer printed the first one with PLA settings... goofball

This is printed at a faster speed and layer height than the final print to ensure fit and form. The base will be printed around lunch time.

20240322_072120.jpg
20240322_072129.jpg

Got the base back just now. Going to go home and check fit. I do plan to raise the thickness of the top support on the base that holds the lock in place. Going to make the lock a bit smaller because the light clip doesn't fully seat. I'll reduce the slot to about 5/8" to fit a 1/2" band. The light holder will have zip ties reduced to a single hole that is smaller and follows the radius of the clip. The hole will also be pushed down a bit away from the light clip. V2 should be printed Monday. The engineers don't have an enclosure yet and the abs has been sitting open since Tuesday. Oh well, still prints decent imo.

20240322_140600.jpg
20240322_140610.jpg
20240322_140617.jpg

Got the base back just now. Going to go home and check fit. I do plan to raise the thickness of the top support on the base that holds the lock in place. Going to make the lock a bit smaller because the light clip doesn't fully seat. I'll reduce the slot to about 5/8" to fit a 1/2" band. The light holder will have zip ties reduced to a single hole that is smaller and follows the radius of the clip.

Did you land on something you're happy with? I'm working on a slightly different project, a gopro mount for a goodman, but running into similar challenges. I'm to the point of throwing away the slide-lock helmet mount idea entirely, and going back to doing a regular slotted direct-mount, something along these lines. Even printing at 100% infill with ABS, my initial attempts were failing strength tests, but this design seems to be beefy enough to take some banging around. Still a work in progress.

1711922308656.png

1711922350302.png

Did you land on something you're happy with? I'm working on a slightly different project, a gopro mount for a goodman, but running into similar challenges. I'm to the point of throwing away the slide-lock helmet mount idea entirely, and going back to doing a regular slotted direct-mount, something along these lines. Even printing at 100% infill with ABS, my initial attempts were failing strength tests, but this design seems to be beefy enough to take some banging around. Still a work in progress.

View attachment 834479
View attachment 834480
I went with 100% infill and the machine in an enclosure with the door open. The engineer didn't have time to figure out why with it zipped up it would print like crap... so far I like what's been printed but haven't yet got them wet. They are fairly stout and everything will be bolt snapped down for initial scoots. Mostly these will be holding inexpensive lights but I may redesign when I upgrade from my free D530 to something more substantial with remote on/off (that reach to the nose of my scoot is long lol). I did beef up the upper shelf that holds the light side in in my last version. V2 of the light holder goes to a single zip tie hole that's been changed to a curve slot that is lower in the helmet. Both the links on page one are to my latest version. I've removed V1 from thingiverse entirely.

The only reason I went with the slide lock is for ease of removal after the dive. I like the idea.

20240331_152426.jpg
20240331_152442.jpg
20240331_152739.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom