God speed STS-116

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bill51

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
What an incredible night for a perfect launch. The sky was so clear we could watch the shuttle all the way to Main Engine Cut Off just above the horizon 700 miles away.

We had our big island boat parade tonight so all the neighbors got together to watch the decorated boats cruise down the canal, and then we moved the party to the front yard to watch the launch. At initial ignition it looked like the sun was rapidly coming up in the north sky for about 10 seconds before the rocket actually came into view, and 30 seconds later we heard the rumble and roar (though not as loud as when we have easterly launches).

The best part of the evening is that there are no reports of any large foam separations from the external tank and all the cameras worked flawlessly to monitor the first night launch in 4 years.

Sounds really cool. This is on my to do list before I die. Just wish that I lived a little bit closer.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom