going digital..nikon d80

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As to whether the D80 or D200 is better for the OP's needs, I can't say.

The D70 and D80 are definitely different generations. The D80 inherited a large portion of it design and electronics from the D200. Its kind of a D200 light (literally, and spec-wise). The D80 is a significant improvement over the D70(s), but is not as good as the D200. Still, I'm not sure if the features of the D200 are worth the extra weight, size, and expense.

Part of it might depend how the OP will use the camera on land.

David

I agree with David. You can think of the d80 as the consumer version of the D200 which you can think of as more of the professional version. The D200 is a pro-sumer camera.

I do a lot of nature photography in the Everglades & in Big Cypress Nature Preserve when I'm not taking pics underwater. I needed a more rugged professional camera so I went with the D200. The D80 is still a great camera.

Thanks for the advice. I didn't think there was that much difference between the two...I already purchased the camera and housing....I hope it works for me!

dhotz:
Thanks for the advice. I didn't think there was that much difference between the two...I already purchased the camera and housing....I hope it works for me!

Well, I am sure it will be everything you wanted. I just recently upgraded from a Canon Powershot 50 (5 megapixel) with just an underwater housing to a Nikon Coolpix P5000 (10 mega) with Ikelite housing, wide angle lens, D125 strobe and TTL functionality. I was on my first fresh water test run yesterday and am very impressed with the difference. The dives (both) were in Georgian Bay and visibility was around 20 feet with a lot of particulate in the water. The subject is not a colorful reef fish, however you can see the difference

Be sure to post some pictures for us to see. Enjoy and safe diving.

Attachments

• Canon Sucker.jpg
    Canon Sucker.jpg
    188.6 KB · Views: 55
  • Nikon Sucker.jpg
    Nikon Sucker.jpg
    156.1 KB · Views: 51

Back
Top Bottom