Going diving out of Fort Desoto

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Javy

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hello all,

My name is Javy (new to the forum). Me and a couple of friends plan to go diving next week launching out of Ft Desoto. I was think about going out to the St. Pete reef for our first non-charter dive, and check out the Army tanks.

Any suggestions, comments, ideas? Looking for some input.

I have a 21' boat (single 150 Suzuki 4 stroke outboard) so I don't really want to run too far offshore, . Have a Spot Messenger for safety :cool2: Plan is to go out at sunrise and be back in by 3pm before the sea breeze picks up.

Tight lines,
Javy

Javy,

If you want to do some near shore diving to build your offshore confidence the SPB artificial reef is a great place to start but it is not the best dive. Better to build your confidence and work your way offshore just a few more miles to the South County Artificial Reef to dive the tug orange and the rest of the reef. Visibility is better and the wrecks more interesting.

Some other near shore diving options in south pinellas are the wreck of the narcissus and the ruins of the old fort at the s.w. corner of egmont key.

narcissus - n27.37.460/w082.48.050
egmont key fort - n27.34.660/w082.45.800

here is another very helpful link for the pinellas county reefs.

Pinellas County reef guide

good luck!

Also, the seabreeze is stronger and earlier this time of year b/c the gulf temp is cooler. you should try to be home or at least heading in by 2pm. any later and the seabreeze is upwards of 15mph and it gets bumpy. just my 2 cents.

Thanks for the input. I will make sure to be back by 2pm. I am actually trailer-ing the boat from the Ruskin area and have launched out of the Ft Desoto ramp. I've been further offshore in a bigger boat to fish and know the difference between 10 miles and 20 miles offshore. Doesn't seem like much on land but on water that's a big difference, especially for my first trip out of the comfy bay on my boat.

Are the wrecks up around the Clearwater area better? Indian shores reef, sand key bridge, the navy ship, ruby allyn? Those all seem in close proximity to one another and a little deeper from what I can gather. Looks like the Seminole boat Ramp is nice if you don't go on the weekends :)

Since its the first dive off of your own boat, don't forget to deploy the ladder before everyone is off the boat. One of those things you will only forget once.

Since this thread started, i have a couple of ?'s

I too would like to head out to the St. Pete reefs. Boating from SRQ might be a little costly. Trailering the boat up there might be better. I've boated from SRQ once and it sucked. Too long at of a drive on the water.

Opinions: Use the ramps at Maximo Park and boat out to the reefs?
or,
Drive down to Ft. DeSoto ramps and head out from there? (I'll don't think I'll go out the Gulf side of that channel ever again. Had to adjust speed and 'surf' the waves due to the shallowing waters.)
or,
Is there another public boat launch near St. Pete Beach?
Thanks

javy, if this is your first trip offshore in this particular boat you are doing it the right way. baby steps. the ocean will show you no mercy just because you are new.

yes. i think, in general, there are more dive sites closer together and nearer to shore in the north end of the county. but there are some really good dives in the south end: tug orange, the gunsmoke, tramp steamer, nohab. most of these are at least 10miles offshore and a little more technical to find and to dive.

the art reefs, like indian shores, rube allyn, south pinellas are great because they still have buoys on them. a trick i used over the years while putting my list of gps numbers together and learning to find unpublished or new dive sites...your first stop of the day should be an unpublished/new number near one of the artificial reefs with a buoy. if you can't find the unpublished/new site with your fishfinder your day of diving is not a wash. you just head over and dive the artificial site with buoys.

kafer: ahh yes, always the smallest details...i think everyone does that at least once. to funny.

Hi Javy, welcome to ScubaBoard.

It's good that you are being cautious. Being proactive about safety is excellent. One other thing is think of your dive buddies experience levels and make a plan that doesn't exceed them.

How do you like your Spot Messenger?

Hello all,

My name is Javy (new to the forum). Me and a couple of friends plan to go diving next week launching out of Ft Desoto.

Have a Spot Messenger for safety :cool2:

Hi Javy, welcome to ScubaBoard.

It's good that you are being cautious. Being proactive about safety is excellent. One other thing is think of your dive buddies experience levels and make a plan that doesn't exceed them.

How do you like your Spot Messenger?

Thanks will do.

As far as the spot goes haven't really used it that much yet. I have sent out a couple of OK messages seems to work well. Sends message within 10 minutes on land around Ruskin. I have had it on the dash of my car and used the tracking feature while driving. Drove from Ruskin to Leto Beach in Sarasota and back and it did a nice job marking my spot every 10 mins. Could go log onto my account and see my track on google maps. Attached is a picture of what it looks like.

Should be out on the water this week with it. Will let you know how it goes.

Tight lines,
Javy

Attachments

• Spot_example.jpg
    Spot_example.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 205
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom