going from console to wrist mount

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hantzu701

Contributor
Reaction score
I'm trying to take a Scubapro console and convert the parts into wrist mount. Has anyone done this before?

The dive computer and compass gets put on lexan and bungied around the wrist. I don't want to go through the hassle of selling the air pressure gauge, but it doesn't look as if I can buy a separate boot for it. Rumor has it that Scubapro makes a separate boot only for the European market.

Comments?

ScubaPro makes a boot for an SPG alone.

But you do not really need a boot for your SPG.

Just attach a small stainless steel bolt snap to the base of the SPG with a nylon tie, then clip the SPG to your left shoulder strap D ring.

I have found the OMS SPGs to be slightly more accurate than the ScubaPro SPGs. But the difference is not major.

That's terrific! Now all I have to do is figure how to get the gauge out of the console! My LDS has been trying to convince me to buy the Scubapro air pressure mini gauge for another $100!

Remove the HP hose from the first stage.
Pop the SPG out of the boot.
Slide the boot down the hose and off of the end.
Reinstall the HP hose on the first stage.

pipedope once bubbled...
Remove the HP hose from the first stage.
Pop the SPG out of the boot.
Slide the boot down the hose and off of the end.
Reinstall the HP hose on the first stage.

It may help to soak the console in hot water to soften it up. Also, a sharp knife blade will also work at the top of the gauge. Stay away from the HP hose.

I also disagree with the suggestion to clip the SPG off close to your head/face. I have seen a couple of these things explode and I would not want to have it close to my head.

MD

Thanks MechDiver and pipedope,
I took a closer look at the console. The SPG seems to be held in place by the dive computer. It looks like I can simply remove the the dive computer, then slide out the SPG. As instructed, I'll have to disconnect the HP hose from my first stage.

I was going to bolt the dive computer to some lexan and bungie the setup, but it looks like Scubapro sells a wrist boot for it.

If I don't get a SPG boot, do you think it's worth wrapping the SPG with a bicycle tire or something to protect it?

Flex so that you can pop out the computer.
I usually hold the consol around the SPG area and pull the top edge away with my thumb while I press up on the back of the computer.
With the computer out I bend the top of the console back so that the SPG popl out of its hole. The hose will still be through the console boot. Then I do the slide it off routine.

I bought a used compass wrist boot at my LDS but they didn't have one to fit my computer so I made my own. See the thread;
http://www.scubaboard.com/t39226/s.html

If you clip off the SPG it really doesn't need a boot or other protection.

hantzu701 once bubbled...
[B
If I don't get a SPG boot, do you think it's worth wrapping the SPG with a bicycle tire or something to protect it? [/B]

Get a small zipper padded case for camera doodads or something similiar at KMart to use when transporting. You don't really need anything on the gauge when in use.

MD

Back
Top Bottom