Going to Bonaire in Sept - need info please

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

19 days and counting.......tick tick tick :dork2:

Another question...what kind of liquor is found on Bonaire? The usual Caribbean fare? Is it cheap? :D

Brett

Hey Brett,

Where are staying while youre in Bonaire? I headed down on the 12th.

Craig

Last edited:
Another question...what kind of liquor is found on Bonaire? The usual Caribbean fare? Is it cheap? :D

Brett

You can buy liquor at the grocery stores where the selection is somewhat limited or at Bonaire Gift Shop in town and at the circle where there is a larger selection. You can find most types of liquor (rum, scotch, vodka, etc) but maybe not your favorite brands. It is not cheap so I would suggest you hit the duty free shop in the airport before your flight to Bonaire, especially if you have a favorite brand.

The Saturday DELTA flight.

We're coming in on the Continental red eye. We'll have to see about hooking up a time or two.

You wouldn't happen to work at House of Raeford would you? I get down there once a year or so to visit the plant.

George.

My humble Bonaire tips (been there twice).

1. don't pack you entire closet. Our first trip the wife and I brought way to much clothes. Last time I wore casual clothes down on the plane to also wear going out. You'll end up wearing shorts and t-shirts everywhere. (old t-shirts for diving, much to my wife's shagrin no one has ever stolen any of my Ozzy Osbourne shirts) There are lots of things to do on the island but by the second day you'll probably get into a routine of something like wake-eat-dive-eat-dive-eat-dive-pass out-rinse-repeat. Half way into your trip you'll be figuring out how you can get another dive in there.

2. Hit the supermarkets the first day and stock up on cold cuts, cheese, bread, etc... Go when the market is stocked b/c by the end of the week the shelves will be bare.

3. The guide book to shore diving Bonaire is good, but unless it was updated the morning of your dive, the diveshops are a better source. Don't be shy either, ask your neighbors where they went, and what they saw.

4. Beers are only 8 oz - buy twice as many cases as you usually do!

5. Don't be afraid to hit the same site mulitple times. if you feel you have to see everysite b/c you are worried about missing something then you will definitely miss something.

All great tips. I would add a few more:

2a. Good stores include Cultimara (fresh milk, bakery), More for Less, Bonaire Warehouse and the fruit stand by the water.

3a. Still worth buying the book BSDME.

6. Don't leave anything in your car you care about. Leave the doors unlocked and, at a dive site, leave the windows down. Don't leave dive gear unattended (especially on patios when you go to bed).

7. Consider a night dive. They are a blast. Expect to see a tarpon or two -- not a threat but can startle you. Take a small light -- there is no need for a light cannon. You will actually see more with a smaller light.

8. Hard soled booties are your friend. Yes, you can use thin booties or sandals -- in the same way you can hike in dress shoes.

9. To save money, consider shopping and eating where the locals do.

10. Go slow and watch for the little things. Bonaire is about the macro stuff rather than the pelagic.

11. End your dives in the shallows -- a great way to make a long safety stop and see things.

I'll add one more....pick up or bring a couple of large plastic garbage bags to put in pickup. A dry butt when going to dinner is a good thing.

Pdive is right. Two tanks an hour apart on the same site, and it can be a completely different dive. We've dived Bari reef at all times of the day and night, dawn, dusk, late night. Always something new happening, especially if you go really slowly and take your time instead of zipping along.

We have a group on 19 going on September 19th and staying at Buddy Dive. Thanks everyone for all of your suggestions. Most of us are going to do shore dives and have looked at Bonaire Shore Diving Made Easy to help prepare us.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom