Going to Dutch Springs for OWC 11/13-14 Any tips???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

shadydiver

Reaction score
I have my open water cert dives next weekend and was wondering if anyone had any pointers for my green self??? I am looking foward to it, and can't wait to further my education, gain experience, and further my certifactions. Very excited about checking out all the wrecks right off shore here, and in the near vacinity. I am going to Belize & Cozumel in two weeks, where hopefully I can dive both locations.. Thanks in advance, have a great day!

Shady

Wear either a dry suit or 7mm. It's going to be cold. If you wear a wet suit, make sure your strip it off in between dives. We were at Dutch Springs in August, and it was cold then. Other than that, have a great time, especially on your trips to Belize and Cozumel!

Defiintely agree on the 7mm wet suit or dry suit. Otherwise relax and have fun. Viz there is usually 30ft, sometimes more and no currents.

Hey Shady, you and I only live about 30 minutes away, if that! I've done Dutch Springs, but it has been a while. COOOLLLLDDDD! Also use a hood, gloves, etc. My husband is an instructor and we took students their for their checkout dives. The have great platforms in the water for you to get yourself together and do standard dive rituals. The also have sunken things like, bus, plane, a few other things I cannot remember. I remember that they have a guide rope from item to item. Pretty cool. Needless to day, I am spoiled and much prefer the warm caribbean sea. Hint. Becareful with your fins, the bottom, even in shallow water is very silty. When I was there a student kicked the bottom and caused a "silt out". I was holding on to one of the guide ropes and just held on until it cleared. You should be fine! Good luck on your OWDs!

Liz
www.goldenreefinn.com

Hi there! I was certified there in Sept. When I went the viz was only 10ft! But there will be a lot less people out there in Nov so it should be better for you. Definitely wear a 7mm with hood and gloves, gets pretty cold out there! Good luck and let us know how you made out.

What's the water temp there normally during season? (and not the dry suit season hahaha!) Can you get away with a 3mm during the summer?

I was hoping to go out there next year, as well as Willow Springs...Bainbridge wasn't as bad as I first expected, I'm sure I'll be heading out there also.

Good luck on your dives! Nothing to worry about, you've done it all already, after the skills, It's actually a fun thing!

The best advice I can give as a recently certified nooobie is just think about the skill you're going to do, before you do it..then DO IT! It'll all fall into place!

have fun on your trip!!!!

Buoyant1:
What's the water temp there normally during season? (and not the dry suit season hahaha!) Can you get away with a 3mm during the summer?

At Dutch Springs it's always drysuit season!!
(unless you want to stay in the top 10') :wink:

There is a temp chart on their website. But remember that's surface temp. There are sometimes 1 or 2 thermoclines.

I was there in August and the surface was about 74F... down around 60ft it dropped to 56F. I did it in a 7mm with hood, gloves and booties and felt chilled down there. I'm saving up for my dry suit for next season.

Buoyant1:

No way on the 3mm! Unless you're an icicle. As already stated, Dutch Springs is always dry suit season. There's about a 10 degree thermocline every 30ft. When we were there in August (the warmest time of the year) it was 56 at 65 feet. We went to check out the car, which sites at 90+ and left within a couple of minutes. Didn't hang around long enough for the computer thermo to register the temp, but I'd bet it was easily in the 40s. Not good in a 7mm. We'll try it again this summer in our new dry suits.

Yeeesh! I don't see that happening for a while then! I'm not planning on a dry suit juuuust yet! hahaha!

Any word on Willow Springs? Bainbridge was about 75 in Sept. which isn't bad in the 3mm, but below 30-35 it the thermo gets ya!

Divaholics:
No way on the 3mm! Unless you're an icicle. As already stated, Dutch Springs is always dry suit season. There's about a 10 degree thermocline every 30ft. When we were there in August (the warmest time of the year) it was 56 at 65 feet. We went to check out the car, which sites at 90+ and left within a couple of minutes. Didn't hang around long enough for the computer thermo to register the temp, but I'd bet it was easily in the 40s. Not good in a 7mm. We'll try it again this summer in our new dry suits.

Back
Top Bottom