Going to Fiji soon, how thick does my wetsuit need to be?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

indigoscratch

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi there,

Newer diver, always dove cold water. I am off to fiji for a business trip in April. I will be diving, but I've never worn a wetsuit so I have no idea what thickness I will need. I tend to chill easily. Any suggestions? Reasonably priced is best. Happy to buy used.

LM

I wore a 3mm in Fiji last April and was fine doing 3 dives a day. I get cold fairly easily too. You could take a 3mm, and a hooded vest in case you need it. That should keep you warm enough.

I dive in a 3mm but often feel the cold on multiple dive days with a night dive so I add a lavacore vest with hood underneath. Have fun :)

In late March I use a 3 mil shirt. No problem.

Horses for course. Here is the water temp data the last few years so you can decide for yourself.
I dive in shorts and rash vest during the Summer months and a 3mm shorty in the winter. Others use 5mm all year...
My suggestion is a 3mm full suit and a 3mm hood.
Most resorts will have suits for hire.
If you do the Aquatrek shark dive, they will give you a 5mm full suit.

If you are in Suva, let me know as i run the local club and dive shop.

Cheers
Greg

Thanks! I believe the plan is to do Somosomo & Taveiuni. It's a familiarization trip called Dive Fiesta. Thanks a ton for the chart, very helpful.

Thank you to everyone for your replies!

Pretty much what fiji_diver said. Wet suit thickness is a fairly personal thing; I have been on boats where there are divers in shorties and divers in 5mm's...same water.

For me the factors in determining what to bring are:
* Water temperature...contact the dive shop if you are unsure
* How you feel in water of that temperature and what you've previously worn at that temp (as a new diver you may not know this yet)
* Number of dives per day/week. The moe you dive the warmer you will need to be. That's why the DMs always have more on than us tourists.
* Ease of renting/buying a different thickness at the diving locale....the more remote the less chance
* Your attitude toward weights. A thicker suit means more lead and I try to avoid lead wherever possible :cool2:

You will love the Somosomo Straits. I dove there last June and wore a skin under a 3mm and was fine. I was thinking about buying a 5mm at home for the trip, but the shop had them for rent. Since I don't ever really envision needing a 5mm for the kind of warm water diving I do, that was enough insurance for me.

Enjoy the trip. I am jealous.

Cheers
Dan

I was in Fiji from jan 4 to the 21st and dove with just my swim suit on. I did over a dozen dives with the deepest being 159' and I was never cold. The water was great. I felt comfortable with just my T-shirt on.

I dived the somosomo straits last October - 25 deg C at 20 m - had a short wetsuit but could easily have dived in t-shirt and board shorts (some did) - only reason I kept using my shortie was comfort to prevent my BCD from chafing.

Back
Top Bottom