Going To Grand Bahama. Who Should I Dive With?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I heard skeptical things about that operation. Grand Bahama Scuba all the way. Fred and Melinda are from the U.S. and have lived there for quite some time. Never heard of any complaints from anyone that has been on their boat.

I have to agree with all of the recommendations for Grand Bahama Scuba. Fred and Melinda are awesome. We dove with them in February 2009. It was our 3 kids (14, 12 and 11) 1st time diving in the ocean. They were soooo good with the kids, finding morrays and sting rays and lots and lots of sharks...basically whatever the kids wanted to see, they found. Their boat set up is very user friendly. All of your gear is ready for you when you arrive in the morning. 1st class dive operation all the way. I cannot say enough good things!

Did just 2 dives with Grand Scuba last September. Melinda and Fred are knowledgeable and friendly and use a smaller boat. First dive we did was a wreck, name escapes me, but nice dive. Second dive was their "eco-friendly" shark dive. They don't feed the sharks, but I'm guessing that the sharks that come around are conditioned by the sound and maybe the shape of the boat tying up to the mooring? Good dive as well.

Melinda took pictures and emailed them to me which was a nice touch.

I was there about a year ago and the weather wasn't great, but perfectly diveable by California standards (2-4 foot) and none of the operations would go out in it. They are fair weather operations.

I'd recommend at least a 5 mil with a hood there. If you get too hot, you can always cool off, but being cold sucks.

Grand Bahama Scuba is the best!!! I dove with Fred and Melinda for a week last May. They are great. I had camera problems on one of my dives and Melinda emailed me the pictures she took. Picked me up everyday at my time share.

when we went years ago we went with carribean divers at bell. Presley Knowles runs a small operation. He has a smaller boat seats maybe twenty at the most. It is an older boat but does the job of getting you there and back safely. Boat was comfortable but dont remember having a head on it. Had 4 people on the boat for half the trip then just three of us. Presley always asked us what we wanted to see for that dive and took us to the location that best served what we wanted. Never had a problem with them all week. what were the "skeptical" things someone was talking about.

Going to Grand Bahamas Feb. 29 - March 6th. Really not into cattle boats. Usually dive Cozumel with large tanks with few divers at a time. Have problems with ears, so takes a little longer for me to get to the bottom. Any recommendations would be great. Also, water temp? Husband has shorty and I have shark skin. Is this enough?

Thanks
Scubadeb

Dive with Fred and Melinda. Grand Bahamas Scuba (grandbahamascuba[dot]com)

A husband and wife team. Small boat. Intersting sites. Great dive briefings. Much fun.

Fred, biologist by trade and diver by passion, tells you much about the geology of the Bahams, marine life, stories about the wrecks you will visit. Melinda, diver and photographer by passion, will help you suit up, get in the water, she will even replace the tanks for you before the second dive! Melinda takes great pictures and will be happy to share them.

Wet suits: A shorty and a skin are definitely not enough. I just came back. Dove in a 3 mm and it was barely enough. Consider a thicker suit and a hood.

I got in 10 dives with Fred and Melinda in the last week and loved every minute of it.
this is my third trip with them in less than 6 months.
still working on coming back more.

they spoil you in every way, always willing to help in-prove your diving skill or knowledge about the Bahamas.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom