going to look/buy a boat..advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubajohn921

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
hi
this week i will be going to look at a little fiberglass boat with a 40hp engine on it that needs "carberator work", i have never bought a boat before, what are the main points i should be looking for, apart from the obvious no holes etc!

Ha ha, hey no holes is a good place to start!

Well I would not personally bother with an engine that "needs carburetor work" because it could be anything. The engine is the most expensive part of the boat of course. If I were a mechanic and could fix it myself, and if they were selling it for next to nothing, and I wanted a project....then maybe. Otherwise take your money and look for something that you can splash immediately. Then again, maybe it's a tune up at the local shop and you have yourself a good running engine. It's a risk....

I assume you are talking about a 14' open bow boat based on the 40 hp engine. If you ever bought a larger (or more expensive boat) you would ALWAYS want to hire a marine surveyor (about $350 a boat) to thoroughly review the boat.

--Matt

My dad (a mechanic) bought a boat that just needed a little engine work. That was 7 years ago. He's had it running and wet for 3 whole days since then, but he's optimistic that this is the year.

Good luck!

Sometimes the best deal is an older boat with a bad engine for next to nothing then slap a new motor on it.
Does it run now or are they telling you they think thats what is wrong with it?

Man I don't know....for me it would depend on alot of different things you have to weigh out b/4 you even start looking....budget, purpose, conditions for use, expectations, amenities. A 40hp outboard kinda sounds like a boat for a cottage on a small private lake that you may be well suited fishing from.

scubajohn921:
hi
this week i will be going to look at a little fiberglass boat with a 40hp engine on it that needs "carberator work", i have never bought a boat before, what are the main points i should be looking for, apart from the obvious no holes etc!

If you are not a mechanic, or VERY good friends with one, skip the engines that *NEED Work"! :D

If it really just needs a bit of Carb work, than the owner would likely pay to have it done as having a good running engine is MUCH more marketable vs. having an engine that *needs work*.

If I were getting a boat (and I have been around them a LOT), I'd look for the owner that is meticulous about how they care for things. Maintenance records, fresh water mainly or only use, everything as spotless as possible and in good working condition. My Dad would be a GREAT person to buy a boat from as he is Anal as Hell, and he flushes his engine with fresh water even if he was boating in fresh water!

If you are into project boats, and can get a great deal, then maybe that is not a terrible route. Just make sure you know what you are getting into.

The Chad:
A 40hp outboard kinda sounds like a boat for a cottage on a small private lake that you may be well suited fishing from.

40HP is plenty of power for a smallish light boat as long as you don't want to do things like water ski.

We wakeboarded behind a 25hp. Speculation on HP alone is pointless. Ya have to know what kind of boat it's on.

thanks for the input guys, i think i might just let it go... this is what the seller writes:
"very nice boat, I don't want to let it go but I will never do anything with it, it has a johnson 40hp that needs carburator work. Convertible top with no rips, 4 bucket seat with no rips, they swivel and they also drop back to make 2 very comfy beds. It has a newer trailer. I stole it for 1200. you can steal it for 750".. i dunno..

Back
Top Bottom