going to manly in (april to may) need dive budy or info about diving there

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

phaust

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi!

im going to australia for the first time in april.. and maybe stay for 3 or 4 weeks, im staying in manly (friend of mine live there) since he's not a diver, i would like to know more about diving there.. searching the web and the forum i see a lot of diving in cairns for the great barrier reef.. of course i want to try it but i want to dive localy too.. with my search i saw that prodive got a shop in manly (and cairns)

im there to visit australia but i want to dive too, is there any diver there in manly that want to shore dive or dive? since i got a problem with my ear last september, i will try a shore dive first in manly and open to any dive site if i can dive

by the way i will bring my own equipment and would love to try night dive too.

i want to see sharks too. if possible great white shark (cage or not) so if you have any hints.. as i saw, it's more on the west coast.. but it's possible else where?

thanks!

for my experience, im certified rescue diver, and most of my dive(100) are cold water dives (38-47F)

Look up "Scuba Dive Sydney" on Facebook as they are always doing small weekend and night group dives. Pro Dive Manly / Dive Centre Manly also run plenty of shore and boats dives.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

thanks just got on the facebook page!

same with Frogdive, and most likely ProDive Manly as well.

Frogdive are located in Willoughby (20 odd minute drive away), so if you need tanks it might be a logistical problem if you and your friend won't have cars.

Shelly beach is the obvious local dive spot which i quite like, it's a popular training site, so if you're diving on the weekend, make sure you get down there early to avoid the sad storms under water.

other options
fairlight beach
Little Manly (totally a muck dive, but not too bad)
Freshwater beach (northern headland, one of my favourite shore dives)

if you really want to do some good diving in sydney get on a boat, especially if you can go to places like old man's hat, bluefish, the Gap, Colours, Dee Why Wide... all great sites.

When you get to Manly, be sure to let us know on Facebook as JoBro suggested. We will gladly take you out with us on some shore dives. We often dive Shelly beach and Harbord headland (Freshwater beach), North Avalon and other dive sites around town. Im sure we can arrange transport to the dive sites with people from our little diving group as we do for our other visitors from overseas without a car. :)
Regards
Dave

thanks all! fredaroony sent me some picture and video... wow.. can't wait... really different from diving in canada!! i think i will be on the shore everyday..

i will have my equipement but im just wondering. what are you diving with.. wet suit or bare skin ? do a 3mm will be ok for me ? otherwise i got a drysuit but i think it's will be too hot.. (bare 6mm prodry)

April/May is a bit of a dicey period... some years the temperature is still around 20-22 degrees and you can get away with a good 3mm wettie, some years the cold currents come early and you're in for ~17 degrees.

While I can't speak for everyone, most guys I see in sydney dive with a 5, 5/7 or 7mm wettie or semi dry all year round (I use a 5/7), you won't overheat in the water in sydney.

I wouldn't recommend bare skin unless it's a very short dive. possibly take the 3 but be ready to hire a 5 (prices aren't outrageous). if you don't like wearing hire gear and only want to bring your own exposure gear I'd be leaning toward the dry suit unless your wettie is a top of the line 3mm piece.

i dive with the drysuit in 2c-7c water... we are kinda like a polar bear in canada so.. well i will bring the 3mm (bare) and rent a 5mm if it's too cold

i want to see sharks too. if possible great white shark (cage or not) so if you have any hints.. as i saw, it's more on the west coast.. but it's possible else where?

thanks!

The Neptune Islands (which is on the South Coast) is the only venue for GWS diving. Caged diving used to be conducted at an appropriately named site called Dangerous Reef, but community concern in Port Lincoln about public safety resulted in the activity being moved south to the Neptune Islands. However, the introduction of fish farming has apparently resulted in more GWS being attracted into the waters around Port Lincoln.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom