Going to Montana soon ...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have family that works for the Park Service. If you get down towards Yellowstone let me know and we can shoot for Yellowstone Lake. Privledges for park employee.

PaulSmithTek:
I have family that works for the Park Service. If you get down towards Yellowstone let me know and we can shoot for Yellowstone Lake. Privledges for park employee.

I have asked this question before but did not get answer. I have heard that you can dive Yellowstone Lake and I have heard you can not. From your post I would assume it is not open to the public to dive but Park Service people can. Can you enlighten me? :06:

There is an outfit in a little town North of Yellowstone called Gardener Village. They run tours in the Lake, but the last time I heard there is so much thermal activity in the lake that you cant dive it now. But alot of my close friends are back country rangers and we can get in with permission. If you are intreasted let me know everyone should plan a trip. I will see how many people we can get in the lake to dive. If you are also intreasted I will check my travel papers that I have for the name of the Tour Company.

I'm interested.

The last time I went through The Park, I asked at the gate about diving. The lady knew nothing and acted shocked at the thought. She mumbled something about cold. Anyway, my LDS have dove the lake but it was some years ago. They have related that only parts of the lake are off-limits. The one fishing trip I took a couple of years ago would have been an excellent opportunity. I saw no notices or information one way or the other. We were fishing in 80 feet of water with about 20 feet vis and it look really good to me.

There are numerous places that are off limits. The hottest spot in the lake was found at Mary Bay where the temperature was recorded at 252° F, so that would qualify as off limits. Well I will see what I can put togeather then let everyone know.

Spragg01:
I'm going to be moving to Missoula, Montana this summer (trading in my Texas Swamp Diver membership to become a Rocky Mountain Oyster) and would love for someone to tell me that there are decent dive sites around there before I start to panic about going into bubbles withdrawl. As a note, a "decent dive site" is currently Lake Travis, Texas - 55 degrees, 5 ft. vis, big catfish. (they bite your ears!)

p.s. I hope at least one person gets the Zappa reference.

First, I hate you. I am originally from the Bitterroot Valley, south of Missoula. Graduated from Hamilton in 1980. Wish we could go back.

Ship Arriving Too Late to Save a Drowning Witch. Joe's Garage, Don't Go Where the Huskies Go. Yeah, got it.

There are lots of dive spots within easy driving distance of Missoula. One I have always wanted to try is Lake Como, south of Hamilton. It was a favorite camping, fishing, swimming place when I was in diapers through high school. Water is all snow melt (big surprise) so a dry suit will be in order.

Flathead Lake, Whitefish, Clark Canyon, Fort Peck Reservoir, Glacier NP lakes, many others plus many rivers like the Clark Fork, Mussle Shell, headwaters of the Missouri, etc. if you're into diving rivers.

Send photos and enjoy. I envy you big time! I don't really hate you though.

I live in Missoula,there are 2 dive shops in Missoula. Grizzly scuba and Gull boats, they both dive the lakes of western Montana. I don't dive the lakes myself anymore as I got spoiled diving salt water in Seattle area. I try to head out there for a few days most months, it's a 7 hour drive. But the sealife is worth it.

I vaguely remember Tim Cahill writing about diving a trainwreck in a lake somewhere in Montana. It was long before I was certified, but I found the idea fascinating. Anybody know anything about this?

I believe Rick Inman has posted about finding trains. Not sure but I think it was Lake Coeur d' Alene.

Oh, maybe we need a non-diving memorial thread for Mr. Zappa. Amazing musician and very funny, too.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom