Going to Oahu in September

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bolantej

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Aloha! I will be in Oahu and will be diving most of the time. I would like to hear some suggestions for boats and shore dives, please. Very much appreciated!

-Jason

if you are a vet or have an military id card.....take the turn to the memorial and at the bottom of the hill take a right and about a quarter mile down the road is a dive ops that give id card holders GREAT discounts.

I thought the best dive I did there was....Land Of Oz

RICHinNC:
if you are a vet or have an military id card.....take the turn to the memorial and at the bottom of the hill take a right and about a quarter mile down the road is a dive ops that give id card holders GREAT discounts.

No ID card, but I will check them out. What all did you see down there?

Thanks!

RICHinNC:

they are called Ocean Concepts. I have a lot of friends that are instructors there.
Oh by the way last week I was over at dolphin scuba looking to do some dives in the river or Folsom. My parents live in Antelope. Drop me a line if you want some detailed info. And figure out what kinda dives you like.

Thanks....my memory for names siphons......

The diving was good...interesting....but nothing like the Carib and my dive guide and I talked about that. The color is mostly grey.

But I saw the biggest dang turtle that must exist. He was BIG at a distance...and when I got close...he was enormous. His tail was as thick as my thighs.....and my
German friends dont call me Bear because I am a small guy.

Also saw a huge eel....and in between dives....saw two whales...and on the way back to the docks saw another two whales.

My favorite commercial sites:

1) Sea Tiger

2) Corsair

3) YO257/ San Pedro (double wreck)

4) Sea caves drift (only with Captain Joe)

5) Makaha caverns (only in good conditions, good viz)

6) Baby Barge and the adjacent ledge almost always has white tips sleeping, very fun.
get there first, cause the group will flush them out.

Check your tide chart and try and hit an incoming tide for reef dives for best viz. If viz is lowish, 70 or under...wrecks the best.

September is optimal for Shark's Cove shore dive (North shore, 40 minute drive from Honolulu) Call Scubadrew.

Most operator's don't have boats. Most boats only do the sites in their area...so it is not an easy question. The ideal is to book with two or three combinations.

thanks so much for the informations, folks. I'll be sure and follow your guidance when I make my plans.

Keep in mind the whales won't be here until Nov/Dec :D

justleesa:
Keep in mind the whales won't be here until Nov/Dec :D

Yeah, that's too bad. I'd love to dive with some whales. I'll have to plan a trip to do just that another time. Not bad excuse to go back. :) I'd really like to dive the YO 257/San Pedro, and especially the Corsair. Being that I am only OW certified, do you think I'll have issues (with the dive boat, not with tolerating the dive really) with diving these wrecks at more than 100 feet? Those would be the highlight of my trip.

Back
Top Bottom