going to SA from 10 to 24 january and want to see GWS

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

phaust

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi!

I would like to know if we are able to take a boat expedition for the great whites for 4 adult and 3 small kids

I know kids ( 3 years and 4 years old) can be a problem on boats, So i would like to know if we can bring them on board

I was planning to go at mossel bay on 16th january (see other post) but seem that it's not the best place if I only have 1 day to spend on that.

what is the best place? planning to go in cape town a few days, then going to mossel bay, then jeffrey's bay and after that port elizabeth for the train.

You can book a one day excursion from Cape Town to Gansbaai - not Mossel Bay. Trips run around R1,200 -less than $150 for the day. Just Google "Great White Shark Diving Cape Town". You don't need any gear - they will provide everything, but I would bring my own mask. I would check to see if they supply a reg or not. I've done a few - avoid those that make you take a breath and hold it in the cage - a surface supplied reg is way better.

You can book a one day excursion from Cape Town to Gansbaai - not Mossel Bay. Trips run around R1,200 -less than $150 for the day. Just Google "Great White Shark Diving Cape Town". You don't need any gear - they will provide everything, but I would bring my own mask. I would check to see if they supply a reg or not. I've done a few - avoid those that make you take a breath and hold it in the cage - a surface supplied reg is way better.

Thanks for the tips! finally I will book with White Shark Africa since the trip is already all booked up and the only time was when we will be in mossel bay.. and i think it's the only one there.. the other one a found was a broker for all operators..

for the air supply.. I think they don't have that.. well it's not advised. but I will bring my mask and snorkel Unfortunally i will not be able to do a dive in SA this time..

I hope to see some of these great creatures!!

You don't need a snorkel. You will be given a wetsuit and weight belt. You jump into the cage from the boat and then drop to the bottom of the cage on breath hold. Take a small camera with a wrist strap. You'll never be lower than 8 feet but I assure you that those sharks will be scary as heck. Enjoy!

Don't forget to visit the Kango Caves in Oudsthoorn. The drive is about an hour and 15 mins through beautiful country and the caves are SPECTACULAR. There is a cheetah sanctuary on the way - you can get in with the animals (after they have been fed!) and pet them. Quite an experience.

Thanks for the hints Tridacna! can't wait to be there!! :D

Back
Top Bottom