Going to Sydney AU

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

brnin60s

New
Reaction score
:guitarist I was wondering if anyone has been there and done some diving. I will be with a first time diver. I am not certified, just certifiable!!!
But I will have only one day to go diving while there ... any sugestions?
If you have time to email me ... brnin60s@aol.com
Your imput will not be ignored!
Thank you very much.
Mark

While on my Australian Adventure, I too wasn't a diver when I was in Sydney (that came later when I got to Cairns). But I can let you know of some of the high points you must visit/do while you are there:
  • -the Harbor tour via boat
    -Bondi Beach (available by taking the Blue tourist bus)
    -the Aquarium
    -Climb the harbor bridge (that was my favorite thing!)
    -Opera House tour
    -attend performance in opera house
    -eat every bit of the local cuisine possible
    -Have a cheeseburger "with the works" (including a fried egg and a slice of beet root)
    -tour The Rocks area
    -tour the nearby Blue Mountains
    -the nightclubs (lotsa partying going on there!)
I don't know much about the diving out of Sydney since most of the best diving is way far to the north out along the GBR. But I can recommend Pro Dive as an outfit to hook up with. This is the group that I certified with and I had lots of fun and was well taken care of.

Here's to you having a great trip! And be sure to share the photos with us!

You forgot the Hunter Valley wine tasting tour....

As to diving I was there early April - viz was not great, temp warm for me but getting colder (20 degrees C). I dived with Pro Dive who are based in George Street and Manly - mainly because a friend is an instructor there. Saw quite a lot of new stuff including a blue ringed octopus and weedy sea dragon. Watch out for them blue ringed things, they are very,very posionous - but then 80% of the worlds most deadly critters live on or around Australia.

You can find some photos on my web site www.jonb.me.uk

Enjoy
Jonathan

Originally posted by brnin60s
:guitarist I was wondering if anyone has been there and done some diving. I will be with a first time diver. I am not certified, just certifiable!!!
But I will have only one day to go diving while there ... any sugestions?
If you have time to email me ... brnin60s@aol.com
Your imput will not be ignored!
Thank you very much.
Mark

Are you getting certified? Are you getting training? If not then seeking qualified training would be my first suggestion, there is NOTHING under the water worth risking DEATH to see.

Hmmm...where do I start?

A good dive for beginners is a night dive at Camp Cove, on South Head (in Sydney Harbour), the dive is only about 5-6m and the life is absolutely amazing for temperate water.

Shelley Beach or Fairlight on the Northern Beaches are fairly good, both being marine reserves. Also Newport reef, Long Reef, Palm Beach, also on the Northern Beaches are good dive sites.

There are plenty of places to dive in Sydney, and lots of dive shops to give you a point in the right direction.

Also heading north or south of Sydney you will find some great dive sites.

Shoot me an e-mail if you want a bit more info.
Cheers,
Aaron

asew2609@hotmail.com

hi mark,
i divemaster in sydney part time and its surprisingly good, even inside the harbour.
the vis is getting better because its coming up to winter. last week it was around 15 meters and i have heard it gets up to 20m. things that i like are the multitude of cuttlefish, bull rays, wobbegongs and port jackson sharks, weedy sea dragons, loads of nudibranches (incl spanish dancer on night dives) and the grey nurse shark. i have just heard that there are only about 300 grey nurses left on australias eastern shores. there is a great shallow shark dive off maroubra where you can see about 6 grey nurses in this overhangey cavey thing.
urm, just re-read your post and you said yure not certified and only in sydney for 1 day. well if yure going to get certified then good, but to come to sydney and do a discover scuba and miss out on all the above land attractions si just wrong. sydney is one of the most vibrant cities so would rather spend my one day here doing the things mentioned by TexasMike.
but if you really want to dive, then contact www.silentworld.com.au , they were ex-pro dive and a great dive shop.
cheers,
James

If you're not certified prior to arriving in Sydney, the only diving you'll be doing is snorkelling. try Catching the Manly ferry from circular Harbour next to the Opera house and walk around to Shelley Beach. It's where all the Scuba Trainees go for their first OW check-out dives, nice little beach and a superb restaurant called the 'Kiosk'.

AusWiz

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom