Going to take the video plunge-recomendations?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RebreatherDave

Registered
Reaction score
Gang,

I have managed to travel to Yap and all my friends had some sort of videocamera... naturally I cannot seem to get any footage out of them, so I have nothing but memories of all the interesting critters....

I need to take the video plunge before the next time I go tropical. I don't think I can be talked out of getting the Sony HDR FX-1 which is a high definition video camera but unlike the JVC HiDef, the Sony hidef has 3 CCD chips and its low light capability is 3 lux compared to the Sony VX2100 at 1 lux, so not too much of a difference although I hear good things about the VX2100.

I keep hearing about Industrial Light and Motion's controls getting funky and ruining a video dive....I hear Gates housings are good, but I also don't know if it might be nicer having a clear housing so I can detect water before any added on electronic moisture alarm could go off.

Also, I don't know who makes the right lens for this camera where I could take really close macro stuff, as I find the tiny critters most interesting compared to videotaping Mr Big or can the lens be changed underwater? What if I am videotaping upclose that 1/2" long Periclemenes Imperator shrimp and a whale shark swims by? Am I hosed?

Later I will add some sort of dual HID lights, but not right away, between the camera and the housing, I will probably need to take out a second mortage, lol....

Thoughts?

If you have the money and can afford it HD is the way to go. One thing to keep in mind is the physical size of a housing for the HDR FX-1. It will be huge. Also you will need to get HD equipment all the way for post production editing and viewing
ON the other hand you could get a small Sony PC350 with the Oceanhaus housing
that is only a little bigger then the camera Even if money is not a factor, you have to
Really want that HD video to justify the bulk and weight
The PC350 will make video thatr is better quality than can be displlayed on most
stanadrd TV sets.

Another thing is that the more you shoot the better you get. and the more you edit the beter you get at editing. A smaller camera means you will use it more. If you shoot an hour a week year round using a $350 camera you will likely get better quality then if you shoot HD only on a once a year vaction.

As for focus, A wide angle lens can have a very short parafocal distance. In other words with a wide depth of field you can have everything in focus from 3 ft to infinity. In some cases from inches to infinity. Sony of course makes some spin-on wide angle lenes but
Century Optics is known for both high quality and wider angles. The Century 0.5x lens is standard equipment for skateboard and snowboard photography.

The other BIG plus to HD is that I think you will have more options in postproduction. You can crop and re-frame a 1080i image and it will still look good.

Start thinking about buying a new computer. A dual G5 mac with a few GB RAM will be in order. A "normal" computer will choke on HD data

RebreatherDave:
Gang,

I have managed to travel to Yap and all my friends had some sort of videocamera... naturally I cannot seem to get any footage out of them, so I have nothing but memories of all the interesting critters....

I need to take the video plunge before the next time I go tropical. I don't think I can be talked out of getting the Sony HDR FX-1 which is a high definition video camera but unlike the JVC HiDef, the Sony hidef has 3 CCD chips and its low light capability is 3 lux compared to the Sony VX2100 at 1 lux, so not too much of a difference although I hear good things about the VX2100.

I keep hearing about Industrial Light and Motion's controls getting funky and ruining a video dive....I hear Gates housings are good, but I also don't know if it might be nicer having a clear housing so I can detect water before any added on electronic moisture alarm could go off.

Also, I don't know who makes the right lens for this camera where I could take really close macro stuff, as I find the tiny critters most interesting compared to videotaping Mr Big or can the lens be changed underwater? What if I am videotaping upclose that 1/2" long Periclemenes Imperator shrimp and a whale shark swims by? Am I hosed?

Later I will add some sort of dual HID lights, but not right away, between the camera and the housing, I will probably need to take out a second mortage, lol....

Thoughts?

Chris,

Already got the Mac Cinema display and a dual processor G5. Rumor has it Apple is going to come out with a tweak for Final Cut Pro that will handle HiDef input. Guess that will force me to learn Final Cut Pro, lol.

I am willing to put up with a larger housing so I can go HiDef as whatever I capture will be displayed on a HiDef flat panel tv at home, I just hope going from 1 lux to 3 lux isn't going to be an issue.

Back
Top Bottom