going to Varadero

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

squib

Reaction score
We are trying to make a decision on where to stay and who to dive with in Varadero. We've been looking at Sandals Royal Hicacos Resort & Spa, the rates are decent and include dive excursions. Has anyone been there or like to put their 2 cents worth in? We will be there for a week starting March 6.
thx

Who to dive with is not a big consideration, as all three shops in Varadero are affiliated, and the workers move back and forth on a daily basis.

Prices improve with quantity, so buy the max (10 dives I think).

One little note of caution, I was in Varadero from Oct.20th to Nov.10th, when the "Nortes" started to kick up. The visibility turned to poop, and diving was canceled 3 out of 5 days. On ugly days they will bus you (2 hours each way) to Bahia Cochinos on the south coast, nice diving but not worth a second visit to same exact spot. I believe the time you are going is around when the Nortes are abating, but...

One big note of caution, the rental equip is pretty scary.

Sorry I can't offer any advice on lodging.

squib:
We are trying to make a decision on where to stay and who to dive with in Varadero. We've been looking at Sandals Royal Hicacos Resort & Spa, the rates are decent and include dive excursions. Has anyone been there or like to put their 2 cents worth in? We will be there for a week starting March 6.
thx

Like olyman says there is one mainshop in the town of Varadero called Barracuda and a couple of dive shacks at resorts that are the same operation. The weather should be OK by March, the winds have been about 6 mph from the NE the last few days. I leave on Tuesday for the Holguin area.

In two trips to Varadero I did not get in much diving, once in December was blown out and once in March and the boat broke and they did not fix it all week.
It needed one bolt installed in the rudder :(

They now have at least two boats so hopefully you will be OK. I found the DMs to be very nice and compotent.

Decent diving if you can get in. Teh 11 km sand beach with all the "sites" is my favourite thing in Varedaro. Went for a run every day. :)

Gary

mcrae:
the boat broke and they did not fix it all week.
It needed one bolt installed in the rudder :(
Gary
LOL, probably record time :shakehead
Going Tuesday?
I couldn't be more jealous. I can't get there 'til April.
Buy someone a bottle for me, will ya?

I am booked into the Royal Hicacos in April, so I can not tell you yet about it. But I have been to Varadaro 5 times over the last 7 years and the water and vis is great. Fish life is not as prolific as other spots in the world, but still pretty good.
Sandals has a first rate reputation for their dive shops, I was in Turks and Caicos at their Beaches resort and was blown away with the quality, safety, and professionalism. And they did not skimp on fuel, we went out quite aways some days.

Check out the Bay of Pigs (40-50 $US) if you get a chance, and post a review when you get back.
The Hotel has good reviews according to TripAdvisor and Debbie's

Check into Sunday diving, I heard they do not dive on Sunday, but cannot confirm.

If you have a specific question let me know.

Moe

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom