Going to Xpu-Ha Palace this week, need divng suggestions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bnajdrovsky

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
As the title says, I'll be staying at the Xpu-Ha Palace (a bit south of Playa del Carmen) for a week beginning this Friday. My understanding is that they have an on-site dive center, but I haven't been able to figure out who it is and what they offer. I'm definately interested in diving the cenotes, as well as the regular reefs. Any info is welcome. Thanks!

bnajdrovsky:
As the title says, I'll be staying at the Xpu-Ha Palace (a bit south of Playa del Carmen) for a week beginning this Friday. My understanding is that they have an on-site dive center, but I haven't been able to figure out who it is and what they offer. I'm definately interested in diving the cenotes, as well as the regular reefs. Any info is welcome. Thanks!

You might check this thread out, it deals with the same area.
http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=55858

I highly recommend Scubamex, they are an outstanding operation, and will make sure you have a great time. You can email John Everett at
divequestions@hotmail.com or just check out their website at
http://www.scubamex.com. Tell them Thomas and Peyton from Paris sent ya :D

There on site shop was Dive Aventuras last year(It probably still is). There main shop is in Puerto Aventuras about 5 minutes away and that would be where there boats leave from. We have dove with the the last 3 times we were down there. Everybody there was great. The dive sites are only 5-10 minutes from the marina which is very nice. They come back to the shop for the surface intervals. They are owned by a couple from Maryland I believe. There website is www.diveaventuras.com. We have been very happy with them.

bnajdrovsky:

As far as cenotes are concerned, make sure you check out Dos Ojos. It's a cool place, and it seems to be most people's favorite. You can go though Hidden Worlds, or probably Xpu.

robz:
There on site shop was Dive Aventuras last year(It probably still is). There main shop is in Puerto Aventuras about 5 minutes away and that would be where there boats leave from.

Thanks for the info. I looked at the Dive Aventuras website, and it looked like they're a pretty good operator. The Xpu-Ha Palace resort's website states that one of the things they offer is 'scuba demonstration'. The other people going on this trip with me are not divers but would like to give it a try. Do you know if this 'demonstration' is equivalent to what other places commonly refer to as a resort course? I'm guessing that they do this in the pool at the resort, and then perhaps take the people out on a shallow reef dive?

The dive area at Xpu-ha was located at the cenote area. This cenote is not like the others that people talk about diving at. Its more like a lake or mangrove swamp. The water is clear though. (It may have cavern areas but I am not aware of any. We have snorkeled in it. I have read there is a manatee in it, but haven't seen it.They do offer dives in it I believe. I would guess this is where the do the demonstation also but am not sure. We have always stayed at Aventura Spa palace and visited Xpu-ha numerous times. I think typically the demonstration is less than a resort course (but I am not positive). The times I have seen it at Aventura, it looked like get in a swim around in the pool with the scuba gear on with guy that works at the dive shop/excursion desk, I think they do a short talk also. I would highly doubt that a shallow reef dive is included, but I may be wrong. I would trust the people at Dive Aventuras to do a resort course though. You may want to email them and ask about it. If you do dive with them, they will probably pick you up at the resort, so you won't need to worry about Taxi's. The last time we were there was over a year ago, so things could have changed (but doubt it). I do know they have the same owners and same people working there, becuase I look at the weekly reports they write and pics. We will be back there next year hopefully.

A Scuba demo is a service usually offered by dive ops to the hotels they deal with - it is a short demo of scuba skills in the pool done by a dive master, does not include a dive. It works as an intro for new divers and a promotion for the shop.

A Resort Course, now called Discover Scuba Diving by PADI shops, consists of a lengthier pool session and a one tank Open Water dive with an Instructor. Usually takes a half day and we do the dive on the National Park Reef here so you get to see abundant marine life. Lots of fun for people who want to see what its all about. You can then dive again after this course within limits set by the certifying agency that you dive with.

Have fun

Hi,

I am still offering a two for one deal to Scubaboard members who are looking for cenote dives. Kind of a Grand Opening special. Send me a PM if you are interested.

Xpu Ha palace is located right in the middle of Cenote country with dive shops located in Puerto Adventuras aprox 3 km north from you and in Akumal located aprox 12 km south of you. If you are looking for an operator in the area that will offer boat diving as well as Cenote trips, try Aquanats in Puerto Aventuras.

Take care,

Dennis

I used Diablo Divers ie our own Pez de Diablo for a day of diving the Dos Ojos cenote. 2 for 1 deal cost me a total of $90 and included a nice lunch and 2 dives. A third dive was included in the offer, but I didn't want to push the envelope before my flight back today. This is a great deal and if you're going to dive the cenotes the deal can't be beat.

I would highly recommend Dennis. He is a great guide, and great company to be around.

DiverG:
I used Diablo Divers ie our own Pez de Diablo for a day of diving the Dos Ojos cenote. 2 for 1 deal cost me a total of $90 and included a nice lunch and 2 dives. A third dive was included in the offer, but I didn't want to push the envelope before my flight back today. This is a great deal and if you're going to dive the cenotes the deal can't be beat.

I would highly recommend Dennis. He is a great guide, and great company to be around.

Thanks for the kind words, it was a pleasure having you out.

Dennis

Back
Top Bottom