Goliath Grouper Aggregate 2022 - Planning

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Manatee Diver

Stop throwing lettuce at me!
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
None - Not Certified
Well fall is quickly approaching, we are less than six months away from the Goliath Grouper season. Looking at the lunar calendar the full moon for August is Thursday August 11th. And for September it is Saturday September 10th. August seems pretty early in the season, so it might be light, but I only have a couple of years of doing this.

So personally I am going to do both days each weekend, but we can plan for one of those days in each weekend, since that seems to work better to get a group going.

I also think that doing the three tank trip is better. Fewer people on the boat, and you get two dives on the wrecks where they congregate vs the one dive you get on the wrecks on a two tank trip.

I'm in for both weekends. I'd already penciled in plans to dive both Sat-Sun Aug 13-14 and Sep 10-11.

Well fall is quickly approaching, we are less than six months away from the Goliath Grouper season. Looking at the lunar calendar the full moon for August is Thursday August 11th. And for September it is Saturday September 10th. August seems pretty early in the season, so it might be light, but I only have a couple of years of doing this.

So personally I am going to do both days each weekend, but we can plan for one of those days in each weekend, since that seems to work better to get a group going.

I also think that doing the three tank trip is better. Fewer people on the boat, and you get two dives on the wrecks where they congregate vs the one dive you get on the wrecks on a two tank trip.

I’d be interested in one or both weekends. Having never done it, what wrecks are you diving on?

I’d be interested in one or both weekends. Having never done it, what wrecks are you diving on?

The best options to find the aggregating grouper:
  • Jupiter Wreck Treck and MG-111
  • Palm Beach Corridor Wreck Treck
  • Boynton Beach Castor

Which wrecks have more than others varies year to year. You just never know. Last year the MG-111 was the place to be, in years past it's been the Castor, or one of the wreck trecks.

Unless anyone objects I think we should probably stick with Jupiter Dive Center which means MG-111 or the Jupiter Wreck Trek. I think JDC is an easiest operator to work with in the area.

It's going to be really tough to beat last year's SB gather GG dives. That was just off the charts with incredible viz, great seas, GG's everywhere and so much fun. But we'll try!!

Don't think I can do the August full moon since we'll be just starting bug season & committed. I can do the September 10th date and it's a Saturday so MORE SB diver's should be able to attend too. {PS the 11th sunday is just as many GG's} JDC doesn't run a 3 tanker on Saturdays but that might be good because it will be more available seats instead of a limited load. Make a decision on the boat 'yesterday' because someone already bought out one of their boats that day and I agree with with @Divin'Papaw that the MG111 is the trusted site.

I'll book as soon as you select the boat, cause it will sell out faster than my boat food treats !!
And for anyone else not sure what it's like.....Here's last year's SB Gathering GG video { 2 Mins}

Unless anyone objects I think we should probably stick with Jupiter Dive Center which means MG-111 or the Jupiter Wreck Trek. I think JDC is an easiest operator to work with in the area.

No issues from me. As with @Johnoly, I'll book as soon as we select the boat (JDC has two boats for those that don't know) and times (AM or PM or 3-tank if available).

I missed last year’s SB group dive but here are a few shots from the MG111. I think these were a week or two before the SB Group weekend.

11BCD9BD-B468-4403-AA7E-49DEB134F728.jpeg
413A7720-F7A1-4F28-846D-3EDE8D8FEE6D.jpeg
C8D2A43D-71F3-4BF1-968A-4FEFD82897CE.jpeg

B0DE300E-E863-4143-AF64-F77D1D1D7A83.jpeg
5452ADB4-B206-4CEA-8482-255F4709964A.jpeg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom