Good 1st Timer Camera

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubagirl06

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi There Everyone,
This summer we will be taking my 14 year son scuba diving to Bonaire. He would like to purchase a good digital underwater camera with his money. (So money is an object!) Does anyone have any suggestions on an good inexpensive digital camera. One that he can operate which takes good pictures in 50 to 60 feet of water.

Does your son want a camera just for underwater photography? Although I do not get great underwater images, I have a simple point and shoot camera and underwater housing. It fits in my pockets and I use it more on land than underwater. It was a good option for me and most manufacturers make decent underwater housings. There are some after market companies like Ikelite that also make housing for most cameras, but they tend to be a little more expensive. Again, will not be the best underwater pictures, but up close will good pictures that I am happy with. Just something to think about.

Hi:

You need to make a choice between a 'sold for scuba' camera like the Sea Life and Sea and Sea line, and a 'regular' camera with an underwater housing.

The new SeaLife DC1000 I think is the successor to the DC800; you can read online reviews of the 800 & figure the 1000 will be similar. Remember that the price includes the housing!

The Canon 720 and UW housing are a popular combo. There are some others; some people like the Canon 880IS as a pocket camera and for scuba.

Olympus has the 8000 tough series that's resistant to water, crushing and cold; it's the latest successor in a line for which from what I've gathered online has had debated image quality, but put it in an Olympus UW housing, and if the housing floods, the camera will probably be okay anyway.

This is just off the top of my head, but if you wanted a few to compare and get your started, this may help.

Richard.

Hey there, I got a Sealife Reefmaster Mini (digi) and I love it. its small, good to very good pics, no need for underwater housing. You can get a strobe light and mount as well as a wide angle lense later on if you want. I believe i got the camera for abaout $250 or less online. Hope that helps.

As drrich stated above, you need to make a choice between a 'sold for scuba' camera like the Sea Life and Sea and Sea line, and a 'regular' camera with an underwater housing.

Olympus makes shockproof waterproof (to 30 ft) point & shoot digital cameras like their latest the stylus tough 8000 and a few others Shockproof Waterproof Digital Cameras Olympus
Additionally Olympus also makes UW housings for these cameras that allow for deeper diving. Stylus Underwater Housing - Olympus Imaging America Inc.

Canon also sells an UW housing for every powershot camera they make. Canon Digital Cameras
Digital Cameras - High-End, Advanced Digital Cameras - D-Series Digital Cameras - Performance and Style, Digital ELPH Cameras - Easy and Fun! A-Series Digital Cameras - E-Series Digital Cameras - Underwater Photo - Canon USA Consumer Products

After figuring out which camera(s) you are interested in, check out B&H Photo Video | Digital Cameras, Camcorders and Digital cameras, all other cameras and everything photographic from Adorama Camera for prices. I've had good luck with both when purchasing camera gear.

I've had several Canon's in the past and have been pleased with their performance on land and underwater. My SD800IS is over two yrs old, has taken great UW shots and I love that it fits in my back pocket too.

At 50-60 ft in Bonaire, the waters should be clear, light and bright so you probably won't need a strobe to get decent pics but might want to consider it for future applications. You can always add on later.

Hope you and your son have a blast in Bonaire.

thanks everyone for the advice. I have a Sea and Sea but my son was not willing to put forth that much of his $$$$. This gives us some other things to look at outside the Sea and Sea. The reefmaster mini was one we were looking at as well. Glad to know you enjoy it!

My son and I use a sealife reefmaster mini. We bought it so we would have a camera on every dive. It does pretty good with video and stills are kind of hit and miss (depending on light available). It probably would do better with a strobe. It has a "sea" setting that adds yellow and red, which is helpful, but if you are deeper and darker the photos photos come out a bit grainy.

Back
Top Bottom