Good Carry On Bag

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ok. This is what I did. On Sat. I went to Our World Underwater show a bought the Dive Caddy. When I got home I filled it just to see what it would hold. This is what went in it.

ScubaPro Knighthawk with air2
XL Tulsa Split Fins
Reg with SPG & LP hose
2XL Mares Isotherm Semi-dri wetsuit (Huge suit)
Mares Hood
Henderson Gold core boots
Henderson Gold core gloves
Mask
Compass
Wrist mount computer
Log book
Back up light

With all of that it measured 28x14x11 and weighs about 33lbs. Most people would not travel with all of that but it does show how well the bag packs. So warm water gear and a few days of cloths will not be a problem for a short trip. I love this bag. Im getting one for my wife.

This is a running tab of what I am comparing, thanks to the good people (cough) of SB. Tons of good info on the boards here. Thanks for all the input on bags actually used on trips.

Akona Evolution Roller Bag (AKB155) -- $155 -- 28" x 15" x 14" -- 14 lbs
Armor Ballistic X-Large Duffel Bag, #16 -- $60 -- 34" X 14" X 14" -- 4 lbs
Stahlsac Cozumel Cruiser Duffel with Wheels -- $150 -- 25" x 16" x 15" -- 12 lbs
Stahlsac The Jamaican Smuggler -- $180 -- 27" x 18" x 15" -- 10 lbs
Akona Carry-on Roller Bag (AKB176) -- $120 -- 23" X 16" X 9" -- 6 lbs
Dive Caddy -- $240 -- 28" x 14" x 11" -- 5 lbs

With all of that it measured 28x14x11 and weighs about 33lbs. Most people would not travel with all of that but it does show how well the bag packs. So warm water gear and a few days of cloths will not be a problem for a short trip. I love this bag. Im getting one for my wife.
At 53 linear inbches it is problematic for a carryon - and at 28" in lenght I suspect it would need to go in most over head bins sideways.

No offense intended, but as a frequent traveler, the "put the carryon in sideways" people irritate me as they hog twice the over head bin space. They are also usually the same people who put coats and laptops in the overhead bin rather than under the seat. In general I think the trend has been for airlines to be increasingy less tolerant of oversized carryons as more and more people try to check fewer bags and take ever larger carryons.

I didn't see anyone list the Deep See Excursion carry on rolling backpack.

I had the Dive Caddy full and it fit into the over head end first. I think because the pack is soft if has some give when stowing. What irritates me is when people in the back of plane use the forward overheads to stow their stuff.

They are also usually the same people who put coats and laptops in the overhead bin rather than under the seat.
I firmly support the right of the attendants to beat those people senseless.

In general I think the trend has been for airlines to be increasingy less tolerant of oversized carryons as more and more people try to check fewer bags and take ever larger carryons.

Well if they didn't charge for each checked bag then people wouldn't try to take on such large carryons. The last time I flew I ended up gate checking a bag on the return leg that I had checked on the departure leg just so I didn't have to pay $10 to check a garment bag.

This is a running tab of what I am comparing, thanks to the good people (cough) of SB. Tons of good info on the boards here. Thanks for all the input on bags actually used on trips.

Stahlsac The Jamaican Smuggler -- $180 -- 27" x 18" x 15" -- 10 lbs

I own one of these. It is too large to use as a carry on bag.

I bought two of these at Our World Underwater in Chicago and took them on a cruise this past week. The real upside is being able to get away from any checked bags. At $15-$25 per checked bag, I figure I will recoup the cost of the bags after a few dive trips. With the "turtle" and "spider" packs attached you can pack all your dive gear and enough clothes for a week long dive trip.

As pointed out in an earlier post, they do push the size limits as a carry on bag, but we flew out of Indianapolis on US Airways and back from Tampa on Delta and neither the TSA folks or the airlines said a word. They fit in the over head bins with room to spare.

I really like the peace of mind of knowing that my dive gear is getting to my dive destination when I do.

Check out the videos on their website (Link below) to see how much stuff you can get in these. It is pretty amazing.

Dive Caddy - The Worlds Smartest Dive Bag System!

I love you people! Now if I can only find away to get my laptop and photo equipment in one bag I might not have to check any bags! :D

Yeah, good luck with that! :D

From my experience, you can carry dive gear, or photo gear, but certainly NOT both. I guess it depends on how much photo gear one has. In my case, enough to fill a carry on, and that does NOT include my UW housing and strobes! :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom