Good dive locations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

emcbride81

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I watched an IMAX film the other day about coral reefs and it had quite a bit about the northwest sea life, and I have to admit I am really interested in checking it out. Are most of the good dives sites shore, boat, or both? The anemones were beautiful and some of the critters were awsome...wolf eels, crown-of-thorns starfish, etc. I would like to know the best place to see those!

How are temps and vis in the later summer...August or September? I am looking at Oregon or Washington, whichever would be the better diving.

Eric,

Washington has more options for diving. Many Oregonians come north to dive.

September is normally better for vis, but late August is fine too.

We have a lot of amazing diving in our waters and it would take a long time to list them all. I would recommend a combination of shore and boat diving. You could dive for a month and not see everything.

Water temp in the late summer is in the low 50's. You can dive in a 2 piece 7mm wetsuit comfortably, but if you own a drysuit, bring it.

When you get closer to confirming your plans, post and many of us would be happy to show you around and see what the locals see.

If you are coming here from Virginia, I would recommend neither Washington nor Oregon ... the very best Pacific Northwest diving is found off the coast of Vancouver Island. Port Hardy ... on the northeast coast of VI, offers what many believe to be some of the best cold water diving on the planet.

For the best combination of weather, visibility and wildlife ... I think early fall is the ideal time to plan a trip, although each season offers its own advantages and drawbacks.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

If you are coming here from Virginia, I would recommend neither Washington nor Oregon ... the very best Pacific Northwest diving is found off the coast of Vancouver Island. Port Hardy ... on the northeast coast of VI, offers what many believe to be some of the best cold water diving on the planet.
I agree, although Neah Bay and Cape Flattery (Northwesternmost point in the continental US, at the tip of Washington) are absolutely breathtaking for diving. It's very rough, and you need a good boat and captain to get you out to the best spots...There are a few nice charter companies that operate out that way that I trust and have used for several years, and we've been lucky to hit Dillon Rock and Tattoosh Island a few times.

There are some almost-as-good shore diving sites along the northern coast of the WA peninsula, too - Salt Creek County Park comes to mind, and I've even found some good stuff out at the Sekiu Jetty now and again, although it pales to what's offshore a bit. Do yourself a favor, and order Northwest Shore Dives (Amazon.com: Northwest Shore Dives, Third Edition: Books: Stephen Fischnaller,Steve Fischnaller) and have a look for yourself as to what's available. It's very handy, although sometimes a little dated.

If you want truly first-class diving in this part of the world, you could always do a liveaboard with the Nautilus Explorer guys (Nautilus Explorer Scuba Diving Liveaboard and destination adventures -) For what you get, they have unbelievably reasonable prices for their trips, and one of the nicest boats and crews you'll find anywhere. They're well set up for everyone from the AL80 splash-n-crash crowd to the serious rebreather expedition diving types, and you'll sample everything from Vancouver to Port Hardy and back along the Canadian coast. You'll get fat from the good food and always homemade baked goods, too!

I'm a

If at all possible you have to go to Vancover island in BC. Up there the vis is generally much better, and they have multiple ship wrecks you can dive and charters are very easy to find and very reasonable.

And if you make it to BC and you can make it to Port Hardy you will see the best the North West has to offer, Ill spare you my narritive but do any kind of seach online and youll find more info than you need.

Im willing to bet the imax video you saw was filmed int the port hardy area

good luck and keep us updated

Jumbo

I will second (or third) going up into BC...
The diving rocks, if ya can't get up here, well we have some greaat diving in Washington.
Let us know what you decide and perhaps we can help you out.
Kirsten

I you are looking at Vancouver Island BC...make sure you get a dive in at April Point and Steep Island off of Campbell River. You just might want to move here.:wink:

Tons of great diving out around Campbell River/Quadra Island ... need to be pretty comfortable with the basics, though. Lots of walls and current ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Back
Top Bottom