Good dives, bad services, terrible food in Peleliu Storyboard Beach Resort.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scubashooter:

Thank you for your comments. I would like to point out again that the key of my issue was that the room was filthy, food was no good, and the owner of Storyboard provided no service except charge everything.

My near future message will tell my experience with Sam’s Tour in Koror, Palau. It’s nice and strongly recommended. It had nice diving package including clear and nicely maintained hotel*room for $70.00 per night, tax was inclusive. Its lunch also an Asian box and it’s very good, including shrimp tempura, sushi, teriyaki beef or chicken, rice, soy source, Japanese pickles, etc, and the quantity was good enough for a hungry diver.

About dives, I totally have no complain to the dives in Peleliu under the guidance of its dive masters of the Resort. Both dives in Peleliu and with Sam’s Tour were good, incredible. I was totally happy with where I dove and what I saw. But each time when I walking into the storyboard, into the cottage, my life changed and went to a hell.

If she had arranged the charge as $70.00 per night per a clear room, food additional and give customer choices, and had visited our dinning and checked at our room and asked us if we were satisfied, and resolved the problems, I would not have been so disappointed with my stay in Peleliu Storyboard Beach Resort. The resort is small, it has only six cottages, it’s not too difficult to take care of. For good food and service, I never be picky. You said that my comparison of the Storyboard with metropolitan was unfair, I then would like to compare it locally. A soda can in the mini-store within walking distance from the Storyboard was only $1.00 but in her place was $2.50. It’s on the same land, the same cost of living, and the same “family style”, and I believe the cans were all shipped into Peleliu island by the same method. Also, the round trip on express boat from Koror to Carp Island is $40.00 including lunch but to her place, which was only a few minutes riding from Carp Island, she came up $75.00 with nothing inclusive. I am not comparing pennies or nickels, I am just providing those details of my observation to support my opinion. Is there an explanation other than greedy for that type of charge?

Change or cancel? The deposit was in cash and non-refundable.

You said that you were there two years ago? The article I read, which enticed me to booking my stay also dated two years ago. Thus, I wish I had made the trip two years ago, so I might have had a clear cottage instead of a filthy one.

Answers to Scubaroo: I am not trying to keep divers away from that place. I just want to give those who believe no one can compete them and take their businesses as granted a kick on the thigh to have them improve their services and have respect to their customers. I probably will return to the same place some times in the future to take a look. But if I were to return now, I will either take Sam’s Tour or live aboard.

Jennefer
I noticed you did not mention whether you actually did complain to the resort manager about the situation with food etc. I would think if conditions were as abysmal as you say, it would warrant a word to the owners. I still think you could have said something and politely insist that something be done about the rooms.
I am also shocked that you think charging more at a resort is not common practice. Compare the price of a can of coke at Costco, a normal supermarket, 7-11 and hotel. For each level of added convenience you pay a premium. It's called law of the market. I can't imagine it'd be different much anywhere else in the world. The resort is there as a business, to make money. And they have plenty of competition. There are 3-4 other hotel/resorts on Koror including sunrise cottage and island view (both of which I used). Many of these places charge less than Storyboard. They do not claim to be a "luxury resort" To expect TV, A/C and internet?!? Especially at an island even more remote than the main island of Koror?
Again I am sorry you had a rough time with the room, but if you didn't bring it up to the manager, you can't really blame them too much. In any establishment, especially in a lesser developed country, if you don't say anything, they won't do anything because they think everything is fine. You wanted them to show initiative in providing service. Perhaps you should've done so yourself in requesting service. better luck next trip.

Hi Jennefer,

I wanted to say again that I really appreciate that you took the time to post your experiences. I think that it is invaluable information that I will certainly use!

I, like most people, read the boards and check the internet before planning a trip. Oddly enough, on the boards, it seems that people are much more likely to post about a good experience and not post about bad experiences. And oftentimes, the bad experiences are more telling.... And I've also noticed that people seem to get attacked for posting bad vacation experiences, particularly if other people had really great experiences with the same establishment. I read those attacks and think that they come across condescending and dismissive of other people's feeling and experiences. We are all entitled to feel what we feel and share our experiences if we so choose. You experienced what you experienced, and just because it's different from other's experiences does not mean that it is not equally valid. And it certainly does not mean that you did anything wrong or that you, in any way, asked or deserved to be treated that way!

I agree with you that inexpensive is one thing, but a total lack of service and basic sanitation is another thing. There is no reason why you can't find basic, no-frills accomodations that are clean and pleasant! And I know the dilemma you face when you are in a foreign country or on a remote island in the middle of no-where. You often have limited bargining power. I have had the experience where the only way off the island was on the resort owner's boat! She tried to extort MORE money from us just to leave the resort!!!

Anyway, just wanted to say again that I appreciate and value your efforts in sharing your experiences!

Jennefer:
Scubashooter:

Thank you for your comments. I would like to point out again that the key of my issue was that the room was filthy, food was no good, and the owner of Storyboard provided no service except charge everything.

My near future message will tell my experience with Sam’s Tour in Koror, Palau. It’s nice and strongly recommended. It had nice diving package including clear and nicely maintained hotel*room for $70.00 per night, tax was inclusive. Its lunch also an Asian box and it’s very good, including shrimp tempura, sushi, teriyaki beef or chicken, rice, soy source, Japanese pickles, etc, and the quantity was good enough for a hungry diver.

About dives, I totally have no complain to the dives in Peleliu under the guidance of its dive masters of the Resort. Both dives in Peleliu and with Sam’s Tour were good, incredible. I was totally happy with where I dove and what I saw. But each time when I walking into the storyboard, into the cottage, my life changed and went to a hell.

If she had arranged the charge as $70.00 per night per a clear room, food additional and give customer choices, and had visited our dinning and checked at our room and asked us if we were satisfied, and resolved the problems, I would not have been so disappointed with my stay in Peleliu Storyboard Beach Resort. The resort is small, it has only six cottages, it’s not too difficult to take care of. For good food and service, I never be picky. You said that my comparison of the Storyboard with metropolitan was unfair, I then would like to compare it locally. A soda can in the mini-store within walking distance from the Storyboard was only $1.00 but in her place was $2.50. It’s on the same land, the same cost of living, and the same “family style”, and I believe the cans were all shipped into Peleliu island by the same method. Also, the round trip on express boat from Koror to Carp Island is $40.00 including lunch but to her place, which was only a few minutes riding from Carp Island, she came up $75.00 with nothing inclusive. I am not comparing pennies or nickels, I am just providing those details of my observation to support my opinion. Is there an explanation other than greedy for that type of charge?

Change or cancel? The deposit was in cash and non-refundable.

You said that you were there two years ago? The article I read, which enticed me to booking my stay also dated two years ago. Thus, I wish I had made the trip two years ago, so I might have had a clear cottage instead of a filthy one.

Answers to Scubaroo: I am not trying to keep divers away from that place. I just want to give those who believe no one can compete them and take their businesses as granted a kick on the thigh to have them improve their services and have respect to their customers. I probably will return to the same place some times in the future to take a look. But if I were to return now, I will either take Sam’s Tour or live aboard.

Pisces's message has perfectly spoke out for me and answered the most of the questions Scubashooter asked. Thank Pisces very much!

One more answer to Scubashooter: Yes, I did try. There were nigociations back and forth until after I returned my home when after the trip finished. My trip was booked for eight days but I ended it on the fourth day. The answer was 100% negative. If from the beginning, she had given any flaxibility or any words to show that she would like to consider her customers and do her job, such as to supervise her housekeeper besides charge everything, and or would like to be flexible in some negociations, I would not have been so disappointed. I am an understanding person and again, I am not a picky one. I have traveled around the world, sometimes spent long time in a desert or jungles, including Safari, Africa, Europe, Asia, Pecific Islands, and had stayed in many different hotels, motels, cottages, bunglows, tents, ect. I believe my comparison is based on abundant of facts and is fair.

If the business owner had ever had the knowledge of business management, she would have priced better, I believe. The price has to be based on many elements; such as the cost of labor, transportation, property rental, location, material and many more, and should not just come out from her mind that the other "resort" in the other location charges so much and thus she also charges such and such.

First of all, none of my posts were meant to "personally attack" jennefer or defend the actions of SBR.I fully understand that if a room is uninhabitable, then something should be done. Jennefer is upset at a somewhat ruined vacation and it does leave a bitter after taste. However, reports like hers would gain a lot more credibility if she had kept things in perspective, reported on the conditions of the room, the actions(or inactions) of the management (Godwin and Mayumi) at SBR and that she left 1/2 way because conditions were unbearable. Instead she made comments and comparisons with hotels in the US and how much they were being overcharged by SBR and the greed of the owners etc. Those comments detracted from the legitimate complaints and are also not in line with the realities of travelling to remote areas like Peleliu. Sure, there are remote islands with all those facilities like ScubaRoo said, you just pay more for it.
Her comments about the lack of medical facilities shows she doesn't understand that she was on a remote island. Many islands around the world do not have medical facilities or doctors or even nurses on every island that is populated.
The pricing of SBR may seem exhorbitant for jennefer. But the fact is that obviously SBR has survived that long charging exhorbitant prices even when the Island View Hotel has all of the amenities Jennefer is looking for at a lower price and just round the other side of the island and also within walking distance, 2km if I'm not wrong. When their well of customers willing to pay their prices dry up, they will adjust accordingly. Again it's the law of demand and supply in business. Fair market pricing is a concept that is foreign even in the US, not to mention a LDC.
Jennefer
All this is deviating from the point that the rooms were uninhabitable and the management apparently made no efforts to rectify the situation. Even in your last reply, you are not clear on whether you did make clear that you would like to have the mat and linens out in the sun for a few hours or the kitchen make breakfast when you arrive rather than leave it for the ants first.
It is very unfortunate that you had a bad experience. You obviously believed what you read in the advertisements by the resort. Researching on the internet could've given a better idea. Then again, in all probabillity, if you asked the board about accomodations in peleliu, SBR is probably the one many would recommend. I personally would've given you choices including Island View, which I found on the internet easily. Lesson learnt... research doubly hard next time.

Pisces:
In all fairness, it is VERY easy to trounce on the reputation of an establishment on the internet, especially when they cannot defend themselves. The internet is hardly the most reliable source of information. Which is why I take reports which have askewed perspective and written in anger with a cynical eye, especially since I'd been there and while SBR is not the best resort I've been to for $50 a night + 3 meals, it was never in dismal shape nor were the owners inhospitable. I was just trying to bring another perspective and not trying to "attack" anyone personally for having a bad time. It is not meant to dismiss her experience. Having read her posts here and on other boards, I just have a different view of her reports.

Can I summarize: Jennefer enjoyed the diving with at Peleliu Storyboard Beach Resort but is warning people that she also had a very bad experience with the rooms / service at the resort. Not everyone else has had such a bad experience there. Jennefer believes PSBR is overpriced for their accomodations and their website does not give an honest picture of what to expect (from all reports I tend to agree). When something this important goes wrong on your holiday, you should always bring it to the attention of the appropriate people as soon as possible. Use websites such as this to get as good information as possible about shops before you pay any money. We thank Jennefer, scubashooter and everyone else for their input on all shops because this can help the shops get in line and help divers enjoy their trips more.

okay? I'm now donning a flameproof suit so fire away!

Wow. I thought my last message would quiet down the discussing a little bit, but Scubashooter came up a bunch of more. Please note that I am busy during weekdays because I still have several decades to go to retiring. This weekend I will be taking a dive trip to Carribean or Mexico and will return next weekend.

Zipsy: Thank you for your message. It's nice and reasonable. It shows your understanding. However, I truly tried to report the problems. I will provide much more details about the entire experience later. Because I am too busy these several days.

Scubashooter: Even though you are stating that you are not on either side, you, in fact, are sounding quite defensive for the Peleliu Storyboard. You are sounding like their attorney.

You are trying to cracking down on my credibility? I will provide many details to prove that the information I provided about Pelelliu Storyboard is totally credible. But on the other hand, I do not see your credibility, because you appear to be trying avoid the points and twist the information. Please wait until I come back, I will have questions for you. Also, even though I am busy, I will answer all of your questions and be happy to make the title of my article pop up to the top of this section from time to time.

Hey Jennefer!

I can certainly understand to your frustrations and feelings of being attacked. You were gracious enough to share your experiences with the dive community to give us fair warning. And I'm sure that most people/divers appreciate your efforts and can empathize and sympathize with your trip nightmare. It's not worth your valuable time and energy to keep re-living your bad experience, especially just to try to change an opinion that is inconsequential! :)

Have a great trip!!!

Jennefer:
Wow. I thought my last message would quiet down the discussing a little bit, but Scubashooter came up a bunch of more. Please note that I am busy during weekdays because I still have several decades to go to retiring. This weekend I will be taking a dive trip to Carribean or Mexico and will return next weekend.

Zipsy: Thank you for your message. It's nice and reasonable. It shows your understanding. However, I truly tried to report the problems. I will provide much more details about the entire experience later. Because I am too busy these several days.

Scubashooter: Even though you are stating that you are not on either side, you, in fact, are sounding quite defensive for the Peleliu Storyboard. You are sounding like their attorney.

You are trying to cracking down on my credibility? I will provide many details to prove that the information I provided about Pelelliu Storyboard is totally credible. But on the other hand, I do not see your credibility, because you appear to be trying avoid the points and twist the information. Please wait until I come back, I will have questions for you. Also, even though I am busy, I will answer all of your questions and be happy to make the title of my article pop up to the top of this section from time to time.

palau - the view from an other part of the world

did a rather extensive (you can substitute through a p if you like) dive trip june/july 2003. all arranged through inter-net.
philippines (alona-beach)
palau
yap
philippines (boracay).

i had to search the net extensivly for about 2 months since this was my first trip in this region. evaluated all possibilities re palau. staying in koror, what hotel, peleliu storyboard and finally found carp island. called even the palau tourist office in germany to get some specific answers. once i have found carp it was almost clear that this is the place for me.

in order to get different views i booked 4 days carp and a two days package with sam's tour. the dealing with both operaters via net was very easy.

my trip:

zurich - frankfurt by train
frankfurt - dubai - manila on emirates (excellent)

arriving in manila with domestic flight, coming from alona beach
overnight stay close to the airport (herritage hotel) its convenient, approx us 80 and a bit old, but would stay there again.

manila-palau. continental (wednesday and saturday only) uneventful. they served an excellent spanish white wine.

since you can not transfer to carp island on the day you arrive. hanging around hotel. choose sunrise villa. pick-up at airport through sunrise in a very old van. one could see the pavement through the floor. hotel nothing special, big surprise for getting to the swimming pool, one had to cross the drive way. they also drove me down to sams to arrange my stay with them. free ride with hotelbus. free beer at sams *lol*

phone contact with carp office. promise to pick me up at 8 oclock.

next morning 8am driver was waiting already. transfer to carp office/docks (not far from sams).
loading all my stuff on speedboat and off we went. captain, local diveguide and japonese diveguide. beautiful day for crusing along the green islands. when i started to take pictures boat was slowed down.

carp island is a very layed back resort on a small island just opposite to peleliu and thus also very close the the diving sites.
very basic, sandy beachs and caters mainly for japonese people (if you don't need fancy servants, then i belive it's the best place to be in palau).

upon arriving leave suitcases to personell, jump into swimmsuit, gear up and off you go together with a japonese couple who was leaving this evening. first dive was blue hole/corner. lunch on the boat or lonely beach (japonese style food, i love it) plenty of soft drinks/water. came the first time in my life across canned milk coffee and green tea.

after finishing 2nd dive return to the resort between 2/3pm. due to sars, for the comming night i was the only guest in the resort. sitting on the pier, sipping a cold beer and just watch the stars is a very good feeling.

all meals jap style (maybe internat. food will be served upon request)

i requestet new style bungalow. small individual wooden houses with fan but no ac. shower cold water only. this means about 28-30°C (close to 90°f???)
no mirror in the bathroom but in mainroom above a small table. for shaving i had to sit down and do it very stylish. i know now how hemmingway and bogart felt - damn good. it gives you a slow start in the morning.

and don't forget, the boat is somewhere between koror and carp. there is no rush in the morning.

after first night i had to ask for a blanket for the early morning hours. breakfast and dinner, whenever its ready they hammer against an old diving tank. thats the sign to wander to the restaurant.

boat, guides and fresh tanks are comming each day from koror. if you want to do a third dive, order tanks the day before, or before the boat leaves in koror.

it was exactly what i was looking for. would have wished to have some more guests but with sars around that was the way it was.

last day. 2 dives again. going back to bungalow, getting changed, gear again loaded through staff and off we go towards koror. stopped at sams for delivering my diving gear, very frienly reception trough sam. short transfer to carp dock and settling the bill at the office.

in order to get different views at the hotel i was choosing carolines (love fancy hotels and was torn between ppr and carolines. was very happy with carolines). booked as a package via sams. 3nights/4dives us 560.-- (single)

beautiful local wooden style bungalows on a hillside, overlooking the bay of ppr. residing in the carolines you get free access to the ppr facility. (also free rides).
had dinner at the ppr beach bar. first course and main dish are served together (what do i eat now first?)

sams picked me up next morning (at announced time). gear up at their location hop in the boat and now you are on the ride out to the divesites. (approx. 1 hour and very closed to carp again).
international group of divers on the boat. americans, austrian couple and one swiss guy. as on the carp boat, crew extreme friendly and helpful.

guests of ppr will be delivered to the resort by boat. ppr-carolines ist a short hop. i enjoyed this way of going home. especially soaking the salt off my body in the pool. at 7pm we got chased out of the pool!!! cloasing time - in one of the best resorts in the south sea???

next night i was invited to a birthday dinner at ppr. 10.30pm i was asking for a taxi for transfer to carolines (free shuttle ends at apprx. 8pm). first answer at reception was, at this time in the night there are no taxis anymore. had to argue and hassle with them and also pay a surcharge for the short ride.

resumee:
everything is very expensive. tourists are a milkcows. locals are not the friendliest
diving very good
next time will stay in carp only
liveaboard - do not see any advantages unless you will and can do more dives per day. sailed every day by the bbe (big blue explorer)
ppr does not stand up to its reputation
staying in kooror in high end places, carolines is the place

next morning flying out on continental to yap (they still serve that spanish wine.*lol*)

jennefer, for your trip i feel sorry and i'm glad i ditn't choose storyboard. hope you enjoy your short trip. do a dive for me too. caribian will be next on my list. bay islands, cozomel or bonaire. have fun and just put away your bad expirences and look forward to new diving adventures

tgif - swisstrav sorry for my spelling hope you can still read it

Swisstrav, an excellent summary of your travels. Funny you should say that about PPR's pool, I was chased out too, they say it's for safety reasons and the chlorine maintenance. PPR is about as luxurious as you get in Micronesia for facilities. Even though you are paying the same dollar amount, it is unrealistic to compare prices in Micronesia to say New York or Geneva even. If you compare it with other islands like Fiji, you'll see that it's actually relatively reasonable. We also jumped over to Carolines and liked it more than PPR as well.
I learnt about the taxi situation the first time I went to Palau in the early 90s. It was not as developed as now adays and taxi drivers tend to shut down after 10 or want extra $$ to drive. So my solution was to have a taxi driver who was a relative of one of the dive guides and hire him for a reasonable fixed fee for when I wanted to go out to town at night. He never left me stranded once. It pays to be friendly with locals. I did that the 5 times I've been to Palau and only been left once. But that was because the guy's girlfriend called apparently.
The liveaboard advantage in Palau is that you are sitting on the site before anyone else and can do it again when the day boats are gone (tide depending of course). If you look at the mathematics, you pay US$120 for 3 dives and perhaps $80 for accomodations and meals from a land resort. The liveaboards in Palau range from US$200-280 per day for at least 4 dives a day, with more choices on sites and less bumpy travel time. Plus you get to eat between dives, something that is VERY important to me. And anything goes wrong with equipment, you can still fix your problems on the boat and continue with the dive.
Carp island is nice and VERY nihongo. I liked Angaur a lot too.
I must warn you though. After doing Palau and the Philippines, you will likely be disappointed with the diving in the Carribbean.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom