Good diving on a budget. Departing Seattle in February?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mohave_steve

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I just got word that my work trip to Florida in February has been canceled. I was so looking forward to another visit to Boynton Beach or Jupiter :depressed:

I know Florida, Coz & PDC can be hit or miss weather-wise in February. Can anyone recommend a better dive destination that is budget friendly that time of year?

I have been looking at Maui but weather is still a bit of a factor as the Northerly swell can mess with a number of the dive sites and lodging prices are a bit steep.

Thanks

It's mid high season so that may be a factor.

What about Roatan? Fantasy Island is going through major renovations currently and offered a great deal - $499 for a week AI last month (my friends did it) IIRC it might be $899 now. No idea what their rates will be in Feb. From what my friends said, the new (old owners re-took it over) mgmt. is doing a lot of upgrades, new boat, they saw new A/C units delivered etc.

I'd rank Roatan among the top 5 best Caribbean dive destinations I've been to. Includes Bonaire, Cayman, Curacao, Utila etc.

Another option might be somewhere like Coconut Tree Divers on the West End. They offer a single person cabin (micro/small frig) package for $690 - includes 10 dives/1 night dive. Extra dives are $35 ea. A friend stayed there so I saw his cabin. CTD is in the heart of the West End also, has one of two food stores and there must 20 places to eat in all price ranges within 1/4 mile. They also have an ATM - and R/O bottled water.

Food can be really cheap on the West End, lunch was always $10 or less. Even a good steak dinner at the Argentinian Grille wasn't much over $20 IIRC. $6 burgers/sandwiches at Sundowners - a divers bar right on the beach. They even have an outdoor internet cafe.

Take a cab from the airport (maybe $20) and walk around all week - there's about 50 restaurants/bars etc. in that area. Plus most of the nightlife happens in the West End.

The only problem is that weather might shut down the West End (north side) for diving. If it does, the dive ops move their boats south and shuttle you to them.

If you're looking for something cheaper, cabin/room rentals start around $20 nt at some places. Chillies/Native Sons is a hostel w/diving.

Lots of other options for everything here: Bay Islands Diver Home

Bonaire is a good idea, but you are looking at expensive airfare regardless of where you go. Look at Continental airline from Houston, departs late Friday night and arrives in the am. Airfare is expensive to Bonaire, but I think you would be happy with the unlimited diving.

Roatan is an option. We love Cocoview Resort, on the southside of island. It is a small dive dive dive resort, made for divers so no kids or pool or party crowd.

Playa del Carmen is a great option if you want to dive the cenotes. The hot, sticky season has not arrived, so you won't be covered with bugs either. This would be a great trip as long as you aren't set on ocean diving.

robin:D

Cozumel is still a good option, but Carnivale is in Feb, so prices are higher and some places booked up way in advance. Check your dates.

Thanks for the replies.

Roatan is definitely on my diving bucket list. I checked CCV and they are booked. FI has availability but room & air = $4000. Not quite in my budget for this trip. I will have a look at the West End options.

I am set on ocean diving. I would love to go back to PDC (did my O/W cert there) but concerned about weather.

Any thoughts on Maui? Weather? Condo deals?

Thanks again.

Steve

Thanks for the replies.

Roatan is definitely on my diving bucket list. I checked CCV and they are booked. FI has availability but room & air = $4000. Not quite in my budget for this trip. I will have a look at the West End options.

I am set on ocean diving. I would love to go back to PDC (did my O/W cert there) but concerned about weather.

Any thoughts on Maui? Weather? Condo deals?

Thanks again.

Steve

Roatan, FI room & air = $4000..... I hope that is for 2 people. If it is, that is not outrageous, considering you are coming from Washington state. That includes 3 boat dives per day, unlimited shore diving, 3 meals a day, and alcohol, too.

Maui --- you aren't going to be able to get a better deal than the FI thing. Diving is expensive there, and food is worse. Plus you will need a rental car for week there, gas, and driving back and forth to dive ops hassles. Hawaii is okay diving, but not inexpensive. I would only go there if I was planning to do topside activities, too. And not if on a budget.

Cozumel and Playa are always the cheaper destinations. Don't expect the rest of the world to be priced in their bracket. If you want to go anywhere else, expect to pay more $.

robin:D

Roatan is definitely on my diving bucket list.

I should think so! I delayed going to Roatan for too many years for silly reasons, and now can't wait to get back. I am well known here as being a firm advocate of Reef House, and my exhaustive trip report from there (on the Bay Islands forum) will tell you more than you ever wanted to know about the place. All inclusive, with excellent meals, transfers, 3 boat dives a day, unlimited (Good!) shore diving, and more for about $800/week PP. You can't beat it. Its a long way from the west end, but I came there to dive, not party. Just my 2cents worth. Woody

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom