Good report from Leisurepro

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubafire

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I just wanted to say that I returned some fins to Leisurepro and didn't really have a problem with them. I hope this helps their reputation a little...(cause it doesn't seem to be doing so hot on this board).

I personally prefer to deal with Larry at Scuba Toys, but like you the few times I have dealt with LP, I didn't have any problems. I know I returned a mask once to them - no questions asked.

I've been dealing with leisurepro for about 5 years, I've bought a BC, steel tanks, books, dive computer and tons of accessories. Never had a problem, their prices are great and they ship promptly. I don't know why they would get a bad rap. They sell dive gear at a low, low price over the internet and they do it well.

They have a bad rep because they buy all of their equipment grey market and undercut all the local dive shops who are struggling to break even and provide you with good local service, and things you can't get over the internet, like instruction and air fills. In doing so, they break all minimum pricing and advertising guidelines the authorized dealers (who try to follow the rules and make an honest buck) are forced to comply with.

I don't mind buying from LP for some smaller things, especially if I'm having a hard time finding it locally, but I'd rather keep my money local than send it to an NY warehouse.

Well who do you suppose provides LP with all of the "grey market" gear if the manufacturers don't sell to them?

IF: Manufacturers sell only to authorized dealers
THEN: Manufacturers do not sell to LP
THEREFORE: LP could not have these products to sell

ELSE:

IF: Manufacturers sell only to authorized dealers
THEN: Authorized dealers sell to LP
THEREFORE: LP has these products to sell.

Sorry, but I just don't buy in to the weak hypothesis that LP gets all of its inventory from shops going out of business or obsolete inventories from manufacturers. LP's volume is too great for that to be a valid argument.

You don't suppose it could be an authorized LDS, do you?

the K

i get stuff from LP, from time to time. never had much of an issue with them either. some years ago they were difficult to return things with. but as of late, they have become easier to deal with regarding returns. and they return calls and emails pretty promptly also. items are always packaged well. expecting another order tomorrow...upgraded me from ups 3 day to ups 2 day for free. gotta love that.

as far as scubatoys, there is no consistency at all. consider yourself lucky, if they return your email/phone call. not sure what the issues are there. they've dropped the ball on me a few times already. and i'm a fairly new customer. i have sent things in to be serviced, and i take great care in packaging my items very neatly and securely in new boxes. when i get the items back (always way past their promised date), they are crammed into some old beat-up box and little care has been given to proper packaging. very tacky and unprofessional. that alone really pizzes me off. they haven't impressed me at all so far...

I have been using LP for the past year, and not once did I have any problems. Since I work in the city I just go up to their store. If they dont have it they will gladly ship it ot me, or have it in the store the next day.

A buddy of mine at work has been using them exclusively for the last 5 years, and he loves them. He has been getting his reg's serviced there for the last 5 years as well (yearly), and he's still alive (does about 100-150 dives a year).

Not all their items are grey market, they do carry alot of items that have full warranties and the such.

The only thing I use my LDS for is air fills, and classes....

I've spent thousands of $ with LP and have never had a problem.

Haven't spent that much with ScubaToys, yet . . . but the business dealings I've had with them have always been top notch.

the K

CompuDude:
They have a bad rep because they buy all of their equipment grey market and undercut all the local dive shops who are struggling to break even and provide you with good local service, and things you can't get over the internet, like instruction and air fills. In doing so, they break all minimum pricing and advertising guidelines the authorized dealers (who try to follow the rules and make an honest buck) are forced to comply with.

I don't mind buying from LP for some smaller things, especially if I'm having a hard time finding it locally, but I'd rather keep my money local than send it to an NY warehouse.

You mean they are free market capitalists engaging in and winning the survival of the fittest corporate battle? Dick Cheney would be proud! Ha! I buy whatever it is I am looking for from whomever has the lowest price. I have bought several times from LP, and they always gave me great service, and no reason to complain. As far as I know, they are authorized dealers for whatever they sell, specifically because the warranties are always active and applicable (as far as my experience).

CN

knock wood i've never (ever) had a problem with LeisurePro ... i've also bought
a few things from ScubaToys and only had one snafu ... but i prefer ScubaToy's
customer service.

CompuDude:
In doing so, they break all minimum pricing and advertising guidelines the authorized dealers (who try to follow the rules and make an honest buck) are forced to comply with.

something does not compute here

can you tell me what it is?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom