Good spots in the sound/Oregon

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

morris0352

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hey, I'm reasonably new to diving and just started diving here in Washington. I've been to Redondo beach and am going out on a charter this Saturday. I was wondering if you guys knew of any really great spots especially for an inexperienced diver. I'm looking for some places that you can only reach by boat since I've got a boat to use. Also if anyone has some great spots down in Oregon that'd be awesome. I was born and raised in oregon and I've only done lake diving down there.

Anyways, thanks a lot

Kyle

Check out some local clubs...they have "spots" and the Northwest Shore dive book by Steve Fischnaller or Northwest Boat dives by Dave Bliss...Available at LDS.
Also, post here for buddies wanted or needed...Someone is usally diving all the time.
Kirsten

Thanks everyone, I'll definately let you guys know what I've got a dive planned.

I do most of my diving in the Sound and Hood Canal but there is some diving on the Oregon coast. I go to Netarts, Nehalem bay, Garabaldi and Newport. Garabaldi is a bit of an advanced dive because of the entry and currents but it is fun. Nehalem is a nice easy dive for grabbing some crab for dinner. Netarts is fun to just ride the incoming tide into the bay. The fingers on the Newport Jetty can be fun sometimes as well. I have also done some diving in Newport Bay at the Wacoma doc. Not much to see but I usually do ok with the crab there.

My father has been diving since he was 17 so I think he and I are going to be diving probably in the Tillamook bay since that's where he's done most of his diving. He and I dove in Promontory lake, it's actually the North Fork of the Clackamas river near Estacada...not so great, cold as hell and VERY poor visibility.

check out clear lake in oregon if you get the chance! it is uber cold but the vis is 200 if you get a good day and 100 if the water is "cloudy". The lake is fed by cold springs at upper lake. Super cool dive but the temps are about 40 deg. great spot for a full moon night dive if you can work it out. you dont even need dive lights when the moon is up

I have to second Clear Lake, it's a great dive, cool sulfur vents, petrified trees, and some items to pick up once in a while. I've dove Clear Lake 4 time-wet. The last time I didn't know if I was going to be able to take my gloves off because my hands were so cold. The next time I dive there it's going to be dry.

Clear Lake is an interesting dive, but I think I'd wait until summer before I'd dive there. I've encounter water temps in the upper 30's, so a sunny afternoon is a comfortable way to spend the day there.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom