Good winter diving in Texas

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Anyone know of any springs (or other warm water) to dive in winter besides Aquarena? I am looking for somewhere within driving distance of Dallas.

Well, what do you consider "driving range"? Balmorhea has incredibly clear water and 70 degree water temps year round, but it is a looooong ways out yonder. However, a friend of mine and I make the pilgramage about once a winter, simply to scratch the diving itch.
There is also the Comal River, somewhat closer to home, but that's in the same category as Aquarena in terms of distance.
Other than those, I don't know of too many options. (Well, there's always that nice drysuit I've had my eye on for some time now....)

There is Clear Springs near Dallas, but not sure what the temps are this time of the year. There is also the Valhalla Missle Silo in Abilene,Texas where the water is 70 degrees year round.

I think 70 degrees is a bit optimistic for Vahalla...most divers put the temps at about 68 degrees for the air temp in the above water portion, water temps of 63 at the surface and 57 at max depth of 110 feet. They definitely suggest nothing less than a 5 mil suit, but preferably 7 mil or drysuit.

Now that we have school age kids into diving, we've been looking for winter dive spots in range of Dallas as well. We will likely do Comal and Balmorhea this winter & spring during some of the holidays. We've already spent waaaay to much time at CSSP and Athens.

I think 70 degrees is a bit optimistic for Vahalla...most divers put the temps at about 68 degrees for the air temp in the above water portion, water temps of 63 at the surface and 57 at max depth of 110 feet. They definitely suggest nothing less than a 5 mil suit, but preferably 7 mil or drysuit.

68 deg air temps? 57 deg @110ffw? In the winter? Nice!! I'm gonna like this Texas gig. :D

1 more week and I'm there FT :shocked2:

I stand corrected. I just looked at my dive log from last years dive. 64 degrees was the lowest my computer saw. We had people dive with 5 mils that were ok.

68 deg air temps? 57 deg @110ffw? In the winter? Nice!! I'm gonna like this Texas gig. :D

1 more week and I'm there FT :shocked2:

I've never been, but I hear you will enjoy the climb also. I've heard it's like 4 stories, but that could be an exaggeration.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom