Goody bags...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DrSteve

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
What kind of goody bags do you guys use? (That's Brit for holding the stuff you pick up, be it crabs, lobsters or interesting shells). Do you have a draw string or a fixed frame for the opening?

I have a fixed frame mesh bag for lobstering/scalloping/floundering. I have a large boltsnap attached to it and I keep it rolled up and connected to my butt d-ring until I need to deploy it.

It's difficult to hold a lobster in one hand, a gauge, light, and tickle stick in the other while trying to open a draw-string bag and insert a pissed off lobster with big claws.

For catching flounder, it is also easier, as you can just set the bag down in front of them and they will swim right in.

I vote for fixed frame.

Thanks! Any advice on picking up lobsters in the wild? I'm assuming they usually sit around in some dark crevice and how do you drag them out?

I'm up in New England and catch American Lobster, the one's with the claws. I know nothing about spiny lobster...they are freaky looking.

I'm pretty new at it, but here's my little knowledge.

They hide under rocks, so you need to peek under everything. When you find one that looks legal...it's probably not. "If it isn't scary, it isn't legal." That quote belongs to Spectre and is very true. If you aren't a little bit hesitant about sticking your fingers near it, it isn't legal.

So, now you think you've found a legal sized lobster....poke it in the arse with your tickle stick (a 3 ft long piece of delrin or lucite with a bend on one end) and try to cajole it out of the hole. This takes a lot of patience, as they will try and back further and further into the hole. I've found that if you are making no progress and leave them alone for a few minutes and then come back, it is much easier to get them. Look for "back doors" to their home...try to find where the tail is and poke them from that direction.

Once they are far enough out of the hole to grab, go for it. You want to grab them behind the head, not from the front (at least at first) because those claws don't feel too good on fingers. Plus, if you grab a claw, the lobster, in the interest of self-preservation, will let the claw fall off. Now you have a one-clawed lobster that most likely won't make it another season. It takes a fair amount of time to regrow a claw. AND you can't take the claw.

Once you've caught it, first check for eggs so you don't waste any more time. If it doesn't have eggs, check it's fin for a V-notch (a marked female lobster)...you can't take those either. Then, measure the thing. If it passes all those tests and you haven't dropped it, stick it in your bag and hold the bag away from your body so you don't get nipped by the now very POed lobster inside the bag.

Flounder are easy...either spear them with a Hawaiin sling spear, or just open your bag and let them swim inside.

If you do go diving for lobster, make sure you are familiar with the local laws. New England has some very strict laws with licensing and size limitations.

So the eggs are pretty obvious?

Is the V notch like the size of the carapace with crabs? Is that part on the main body?

Also what is the minimum size for "repatriation" (in New England)?

Thanks

Everything you need to know about lobstering in Massachusetts

The eggs are stored under the tail which will often be curled up. They are quite obvious. A v-notch is a notch taken out of one of the tail fins. This is done by commercial lobstermen to a certain percentage of the female catch. They are illegal to take.

The minimum size is a 3 1/4" carapace, maximum is 5". They are measured from the back of the eye-socket to the end of the carapace. "Hangers" (ones that are right on the edge) are illegal.

Lobstering in all New England states requires a license. In Mass, you must own $5k in property or reside in Mass. For $200, you can get a RI non-resident permit. Taking lobster by diving is illegal in NH and ME.

Back
Top Bottom